• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental fire but not my rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ironspeed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

At 1pm I was at my girlfriend's apartment sitting on the front porch with her and her roommate and we were all smoking a cigarette. We dabbed our cigarettes out and put them in an ash tray. I left to go home (2 houses away) and had to be at class at 1:50pm. My girlfriend's rommate left the house at 1:30pm. My girlfriend left at 1:52pm with no smoke or sign of a fire. Fire department was called at 1:57pm for a fire at my girlfriend's apartment.

Police reports say that us three were smoking a cigarette at 1pm but the neighbors who called in the fire said they saw an electrical line sparking on the road (one that is connected to my girlfriend's house) before they ever saw flames on the house. Fire investigator deemed the cause of the fire to be cigarettes.

This was a month ago and none of us are living in the college town anymore.

All three of us have been sent letters from the landlord's insurance company stating that we might be responsible for the fire. My girlfriend has submitted her letter to her parent's homeowner's insurance because the insurance had already claimed her personal damages in the fire. My parents said that I cannot submit it to their homeowner's insurance because I am not covered.

Now, my mom is not an insurance expert, but she said that they will not try to sue me because i am A. a fresh college graduate with B. no job, C. no assets, and D. almost 100k in debt for college loans. My mom seems to be taking a real lax stance on the issue, but I am really nervous that I am going to be screwed for years to come.

What plan of action do I take? I've literally got no assets, no income, no job, and a ton of debt because I JUST graduated 3 weeks ago. Will they bother to go after me?

moburkes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

At 1pm I was at my girlfriend's apartment sitting on the front porch with her and her roommate and we were all smoking a cigarette. We dabbed our cigarettes out and put them in an ash tray. I left to go home (2 houses away) and had to be at class at 1:50pm. My girlfriend's rommate left the house at 1:30pm. My girlfriend left at 1:52pm with no smoke or sign of a fire. Fire department was called at 1:57pm for a fire at my girlfriend's apartment.

Police reports say that us three were smoking a cigarette at 1pm but the neighbors who called in the fire said they saw an electrical line sparking on the road (one that is connected to my girlfriend's house) before they ever saw flames on the house. Fire investigator deemed the cause of the fire to be cigarettes.

This was a month ago and none of us are living in the college town anymore.

All three of us have been sent letters from the landlord's insurance company stating that we might be responsible for the fire. My girlfriend has submitted her letter to her parent's homeowner's insurance because the insurance had already claimed her personal damages in the fire. My parents said that I cannot submit it to their homeowner's insurance because I am not covered.

Now, my mom is not an insurance expert, but she said that they will not try to sue me because i am A. a fresh college graduate with B. no job, C. no assets, and D. almost 100k in debt for college loans. My mom seems to be taking a real lax stance on the issue, but I am really nervous that I am going to be screwed for years to come.

What plan of action do I take? I've literally got no assets, no income, no job, and a ton of debt because I JUST graduated 3 weeks ago. Will they bother to go after me?
You've got the potential for income, and a bank account and pay check which might be garnishable. Renters insurance would have helped.

ecmst12

And you should have had renters insurance. As should your girlfriend, who will NOT be covered by her parents' homeowners insurance for this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">