• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters claim denied - no proof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbarn0200

Akron, Ohio - I will keep it short. Purchased renter's policy. Moved in to a sketchy neighborhood. 8,000.00 coverage because that was all I could afford. Break-in was 1 year after policy opened. I had pics of my TV, xbox360, laptop. I did not have pics of:

60 PS2 Games
19 PS3 Games
36 Xbox360 Games
PS2+controllers
PS3+controllers

I got a small check which I told them I would not accept. They told me I did not have proof of these items, but when reading over my "insurance policy" they sent me, it does not mention anything about requiring receipts, pictures, or documentation. They required a police report that I had, done that day. All I can find in my paperwork is the need for that report. I invited them to my home, even offered to walk them through (on video that I would post online to show those numbers are not unusual) so they could see my VAST collection of other video games/media that was not taken but they said it didn't matter. Is there any way I can get them to cover these items?

The run-around I have gotten has been unreal, but I won't get into that as it probably does not matter..They will get away with it no matter how high I try to go. They say I'm not even allowed to have another adjuster or speak with a supervisor..it's a joke.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Akron, Ohio - I will keep it short. Purchased renter's policy. Moved in to a sketchy neighborhood. 8,000.00 coverage because that was all I could afford. Break-in was 1 year after policy opened. I had pics of my TV, xbox360, laptop. I did not have pics of:

60 PS2 Games
19 PS3 Games
36 Xbox360 Games
PS2+controllers
PS3+controllers

I got a small check which I told them I would not accept. They told me I did not have proof of these items, but when reading over my "insurance policy" they sent me, it does not mention anything about requiring receipts, pictures, or documentation. They required a police report that I had, done that day. All I can find in my paperwork is the need for that report. I invited them to my home, even offered to walk them through (on video that I would post online to show those numbers are not unusual) so they could see my VAST collection of other video games/media that was not taken but they said it didn't matter. Is there any way I can get them to cover these items?

The run-around I have gotten has been unreal, but I won't get into that as it probably does not matter..They will get away with it no matter how high I try to go. They say I'm not even allowed to have another adjuster or speak with a supervisor..it's a joke.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You have to be able to prove your loss. You cannot.

Sophistry

The good news is that they did not deny your claim, they agreed to pay it but in a lesser amount. There should be an appraisal provision in your policy that allows you to have a panel of three (your guy; their guy; and a neutral) agree on the value of the loss. It's a very informal setting, often they meet over coffee or in a conference room to value your loss.

Has anyone been to your house and seen the items? If so, draft a short affidavit that they have been to the house x times over x period of time and have seen A, B, and C.

Were these gifts or did you buy them? If you bought them, try and get bank records of check card, credit card, etc. If they were gifts, ask the person to draft an affidavit that they gave you a X on such and such date....

Once you do this leg work, you may want to submit it before demanding appraisal. If they are not cooperative, you can demand it. Check your policy regarding timing deadlines of demanding appraisal.

You can also file a complaint with the Ohio insurance commissioner...

I hope this helps...

justalayman

so, to prepare yourself should this ever happen, create an inventory list of your possessions and send it to the insurance company. Be sure to update it as it changes.

while it may sound extreme, since working in a business where one can end up with many tools, that is the only way I have found to be successful in making a claim for a loss of property claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">