• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renter's Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
I picked the Homeowner's Insurance area because it seemed the closest to Renter's Insurance.

I have a basic question about renter's insurance and the possible tenant's liability for damage to the building or to another tenant's property.

Assume my tenant is the cause of an accidental fire (e.g. left a candle burning, the clothes iron wasn't turned off, the toaster shorted and started a fire). As the result of that fire there is damage to my building and there is damage to the adjacent tenant's personal property. I turn in a claim to my insurance for the damage to the building. Hopefully, the adjacent tenant turns in a claim to his insurance. My insurance and the adjacent tenant's insurance probably want to hit up the responsible tenant for some or all of the damage. Would normal renter's insurance provide any liability protection to that tenant?

When I tried reading up on this question on-line none of the write-ups clearly addressed this. They talk about covering the tenant's personal property, covering excess expenses such as a hotel if your rental is temporarily not habitable, and liability if a guest gets injured. But nothing that appears to address my question. Can anyone here shed some light upon this?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
I picked the Homeowner's Insurance area because it seemed the closest to Renter's Insurance.

I have a basic question about renter's insurance and the possible tenant's liability for damage to the building or to another tenant's property.

Assume my tenant is the cause of an accidental fire (e.g. left a candle burning, the clothes iron wasn't turned off, the toaster shorted and started a fire). As the result of that fire there is damage to my building and there is damage to the adjacent tenant's personal property. I turn in a claim to my insurance for the damage to the building. Hopefully, the adjacent tenant turns in a claim to his insurance. My insurance and the adjacent tenant's insurance probably want to hit up the responsible tenant for some or all of the damage. Would normal renter's insurance provide any liability protection to that tenant?

When I tried reading up on this question on-line none of the write-ups clearly addressed this. They talk about covering the tenant's personal property, covering excess expenses such as a hotel if your rental is temporarily not habitable, and liability if a guest gets injured. But nothing that appears to address my question. Can anyone here shed some light upon this?
Yes, renter's insurance also covers liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">