• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters Insurance- dog mixed breed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donedeal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

This is regarding renters insurance. I am looking to take out a renters insurance policy that covers my possessions and 300k for liability. I own a Rhodesian Ridgeback mixed breed dog. On all her paper work (adoption papers, vet papers) it states "Rhodesian Ridgeback Mix". Upon calling the insurance company, one of their follow up questions was "is she mixed with the following breeds: pitbull, german shepard, doberman pincher".

Now, looking at her-- there is a potential for her to be mixed with one of the common pittbulls, but nowhere in her documentation does it state Pitt Bull, nor have I had a DNA test to prove her breed.

If I tell the insurance company that she is NOT mixed with pitt bull and later down the line she bites someone in my apartment and they state she is mixed with pitt bull based on her appearance, can my claim be denied because of this statement. Or can the opposing party order a DNA test as part of lawsuit, which may show that she is mixed with pittbull and my claim be denied?

Thank you

Antigone*

This is regarding renters insurance. I am looking to take out a renters insurance policy that covers my possessions and 300k for liability. I own a Rhodesian Ridgeback mixed breed dog. On all her paper work (adoption papers, vet papers) it states "Rhodesian Ridgeback Mix". Upon calling the insurance company, one of their follow up questions was "is she mixed with the following breeds: pitbull, german shepard, doberman pincher".

Now, looking at her-- there is a potential for her to be mixed with one of the common pittbulls, but nowhere in her documentation does it state Pitt Bull, nor have I had a DNA test to prove her breed.

If I tell the insurance company that she is NOT mixed with pitt bull and later down the line she bites someone in my apartment and they state she is mixed with pitt bull based on her appearance, can my claim be denied because of this statement. Or can the opposing party order a DNA test as part of lawsuit, which may show that she is mixed with pittbull and my claim be denied?

Thank you
You can have a doggie DNA test done yourself ~ this cost is less than $100.

HomeGuru

Thank you
**A: yes and yes.

ecmst12

You can state honestly to the best of your knowledge the dog is not mixed with any of those breeds. Whether that would be good enough, I couldn't say. May be safer to get the test, if you are unsure of the breeding history.

You Are Guilty

If you truly don't know, yes, you can tell the carrier that you do not believe that she is a mix with the prohibited breeds. Of course, if there should be a claim in the future, particularly a big one, testing to determine the breed is not expensive, and if it comes back as one of the "bad" breeds, I would certainly expect them to disclaim coverage. Which then begs the question, why would you pay for insurance that may not actually cover you in case of an incident?

Personally, I'd look for a different insurance carrier or just get the testing done now to see what kind of dog you've got.

Hot Topic

I'd guess that if you had a poodle mixed with a dachshund and it bit another tenant or a workman, you'd still be in trouble

RRevak

Ok guys, having done a DNA test on a dog I can say firsthand that the amount of breeds one thinks their dog is composed of is NOTHING like the breeds that come up with a DNA test. It can trace as many as several types of dog breed dna even if the dna amount of the breeds are slight and irrevelant. My "weimaraner" whom I adopted from a shelter turned out to be Weim, Stafforshire terrier, Lab, and some distant addition of collie (THAT one was the real head scratcher). Op, the best thing you can do is do what Ecmst says and state that to the best of your knowledge your dog isnt one of the prohibited breeds and just take great care to ensure your dog is always on a leash and never has the ability to make his or her way where you arent able to supervise them. No ability to bite means no issues later :D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">