• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters insurance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr_reznik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi guys/gals,
I have had my car broken into on 9/29/2010. Passenger side door window was smashed and the burglar(s) took some expensive items (totalling around $7000) that I had stupidly placed on the back seat. I thought they could not see anything under the large leather jacket. Right.
I have cancelled my auto claim, since the damage ($250) was less than my deductible.
I rent and I have renters insurance through State Farm, that is supposed to cover up to $21000 or so in lost/stolen property. I have filed a claim on 9/29 and today (10/4) I got a call from State Farm's ''special investigative unit'' (sounds like a TV show). The girl took my statement and recorded it. During the interrigation (can't really call it otherwise), she demanded that since I bought the items with cash (and I have sales agreements on all of them), I need to reveal where I got the cash!
Do you think this is expected/normal? I was basically treated like a criminal.
She demanded to know when I was making the withdrawals from my account, where I was getting cash, how many times I was going back home (I'm an immigrant from Eastern Europe)

I am going to fax her the printouts of my Fidelity account that show the withdrawals from it. I've had some cash on me when I immigrated and I used it too for the purchases, but immigrated over 8 years ago and there is very little chance I will be able to prove that I've had cash on me and how much...

I have a feeling that State Farm will try their hardest to avoid paying for my stolen property. Has anyone had similar experiences in the past? I could really use an advice on how to treat this situation and what to tell them and what my rights are.

Much appreciated!

tranquility

They have suspicions, as do I. Why would you care if they require such information if you can prove it?

It is a lot of money. If you have to sue, you will have to prove things up. Do it now and get your money.

mr_reznik

They have suspicions, as do I. Why would you care if they require such information if you can prove it?
I can indeed prove that I've had that cash - but it requires time and dealing with a foreign bank while being in the US.

My withdrawals from my Fidelity account alone should (in my mind) calm their suspicions about cash, but I don't know if they will.

What would your main suspicions be, if you don't mind me asking?

It is a lot of money. If you have to sue, you will have to prove things up. Do it now and get your money.
I guess you're right. It just sucks to be interrigated like that after I've been a loyal customer for over 5yrs and referred dozens of people to them...

tranquility

How many do you think keep $7,000 worth of stuff in their car?

If I were your friend, I'd call you stupid. If you came to me asking to replace it, I might call you something else.

mr_reznik

How many do you think keep $7,000 worth of stuff in their car?

If I were your friend, I'd call you stupid. If you came to me asking to replace it, I might call you something else.
I do feel extremely stupid.
I live in the supposedly ''very safe'' neighborhood and I have never expected something like this to happen.
But this is why I have renters insurance and I hope I can get my money back.

tranquility

As long as you prove things up, I don't see why you wouldn't.

It happens. Your problem is not that it happened, but that it happened for so much. They are going to force you to prove your loss and jump through a couple of hoops first.

moburkes

Entertainment system? Your stereo system that was installed into the dashboard was stolen (covered by auto insurance) or some type of portable system which was "stored" under your leather jacket (covered by renters insurance)?

You've got to understand that it doesn't make sense. Your entire renters policy is $21k, but 1/3 of that, $7k, was in your vehicle. I can tell you right now that 1/3 of the amount of coverage I have, is not sitting on my back seat in my vehicle, under a leather jacket.

What was stolen? What is the $ value of each item which was stolen?

mr_reznik

The weirdest thing happened this morning: everything but my MP3 player was returned to me! I got to the car and it was all there, including my leather jacket, right on theground under it!

It's been almost 2 months since my car got broken into, I have submitted a ton of documents to my insurance company and now this happens!

It felt so surreal...like I was a victim of some sort of sick prank. Who would do such a thing?

I called the insurance company and left a message to the investigator who was running my case and asked her to cancel my claim. I also notified her by email.

Are there any more steps I should take? Should I notify the police that the items turned up?

Thanks!

You Are Guilty

Generally, it's still considered fraud even if you're unsuccessful. I don't know that contacting the police to tell them that is in your best interests.

mr_reznik

Wait, how is it fraud if I'm not looking for any financial compensation?
I have cancelled my claim with the insurance company already!

mr_reznik

Thanks for the link, You Are Guilty.
From what I've read it seems that NOT reporting the items being recovered would be fraud.

Country Living

Look at this from the insurance company's point of view. It's all very suspicious. You filed a large claim (1/3rd of your total renters' coverage) for theft of personal property from your car. You said you paid cash for all of the items. Then you suddenly recovered everything except one small item.

I don't know how State Farms' internal processes work; but, don't be surprised if you are asked to take your business elsewhere at renewal.

You Are Guilty

I don't have time at the moment to peruse the CA code, but if they recognize "attempted fraud" as a crime, you may have other issues. Either way, if the police, or even your insurance company, comes a knockin', you might want to speak to a lawyer before giving any statements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">