• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renters Insurance Question - California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carenterguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Hello, My fiancé and I recently got a joint car insurance policy for herself, her father, and myself because we all live together and share vehicles. During this process we also purchased a renters policy because it gave us a bigger discount. The auto policy has all 3 names listed as the insured, but I noticed today after the disaster happened (house fire), that only my name is on the policy. When we signed up for this policy it should have been in all 3 of our names, just like the car insurance policy. The insurance agent knew this because we got additional coverage because it would be for all 3 of ours property.

Thankfully the fire was put out quickly and most of the damage is to my own personal property, but there was some of her and her fathers property damaged / totaled by the fire.

What do we do in this case? Do I have a right to contact the insurance company and tell them their names should have been on the policy as well mine?

Thanks,
Renter in California.

las365

Is the cost to replace all of the damaged property (regardless of ownership) in excess of the policy limit?

Generally, if each renter wants individual coverage, then each should purchase his or her own policy.

carenterguy

No the damage is way less than the policy limit.

I understand most people have separate policies but we purchased this believing it would be for all 3 of us. It was purchased at the same time as another policy for all 3 residents and we got higher coverage incase of total loss for everyone.

carenterguy

Not yet but they have told us over the phone that because she and her father are not named insured that they would not cover their property. The claims adjuster will be out today.

swalsh411

Makes sense to me. They weren't on the policy, only you were. Why would you expect the insurance company to cover the losses of somebody not on the policy? These people should have gotten their own policy, or been added to yours.

ecmst12

Your best chance is to go through the agent and see if the paperwork you filled out proves the way the policy should have been set up.

swalsh411

If they deny your claim file a complaint against the agent for not setting the policy up correct with your state Insurance Commissioner.
The policy only names the OP, nobody else. What is not clear about this to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
The policy only names the OP, nobody else. What is not clear about this to you?
The policy was established to insure all 3 people the same as their car insurance. The policy was set up negligently by the insurance agent who sold it and a valid complaint/claim may exist against the insurance agent.

swalsh411

The policy was established to insure all 3 people the same as their car insurance. The policy was set up negligently by the insurance agent who sold it and a valid complaint/claim may exist against the insurance agent.
OP received policy documents which listed him as the only one named on the policy. OP should have reviewed and corrected at the time policy was drafted if the intention was to cover additional people. His failure to do so means he accepts the terms of the policy which only covers his stuff. Even if he told the agent he wished to have three people on the policy and even if the agent ignored this or made a mistake, it was still his responsibility to review the policy documents.

OP received policy documents which listed him as the only one named on the policy. OP should have reviewed and corrected at the time policy was drafted if the intention was to cover additional people. His failure to do so means he accepts the terms of the policy which only covers his stuff. Even if he told the agent he wished to have three people on the policy and even if the agent ignored this or made a mistake, it was still his responsibility to review the policy documents.
Let the state insurance commissioner decide whose responsibility it was to review the insurance documents. This is a bundled policy in which he did receive paperwork that contained all three names, for the cars. Then they buried somewhere in the policy that the renter's insurance covered only his property. His insurance agent has a duty to advise him competently on what and who is covered.

ecmst12

Why wouldn't there be able to be 3 or more named insureds on an auto policy? As long as they all live in the same household they can share a policy.

Before I got married I had a renters insurance policy for me and my now-husband. When I got it, I noticed right away that his name wasn't listed and I got it fixed in one phone call. Because I was PAYING ATTENTION.

tammy8

Okay:confused:, states are different but in looking up the majority of states, in order to be *Named Insured* if you aren't married or over 18, all titles must have all named insured on titles.

That being said, renters is kinda the same. What insurable interest BY LAW does #1 have to #2 or #3?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">