• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Replacement Siding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spd32177

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I recently filed an insurance claim where we had some pretty good water damage. My contractor had to rip off a lot of my asbestos siding of the back of my home and he said that the insurance claim will cover new siding for the back of the house. He said that he would measure siding for the entire home and submit it to the insurance company with the hopes that they will reside the entire home since whatever they put on the back will obviously not be asbestos siding which is what is on the rest of the home. Now I don't live in a HUGE house. It’s a little cape cod style home with siding only on three sides since the front is stone.

My questions is, shouldn't my insurance provider (Nationwide) cover the residing of the entire home so that it matches? I feel like if they don't the value of my home will go down because people are not going to want to by my home without matching siding.

Thoughts?

FlyingRon

The other way to look at it is that you will be unjustly enriched by getting a free, upgraded siding job, out of a few damaged shingles. If the contractor can't replace or find replacement shingles for what you want, the best you're probably going to get is one side of the house resided.

spd32177

unjustly?

I don't see how I would be unjustly enriched when I pay my homeowners insurance every year, which certainly isn't free. Not to mention, it’s not just a few shingles here. It's more like the entire back of the house. If they replace continuous carpeting inside the house, they should replace continuous siding on the outside.

FlyingRon

Homeowners insurance isn't some sort of savings account. You get money only to compensate you for the covered damage.

Unless your house is round, there's not continuous siding. Believe me, I had a tree fall through my attached garage. They're only going to reside the parts of the structure that need to be done. Take it as a good opportunity to kick in the money to reside everything.

moburkes

Do you have an HO-3 or an HO-5?

Read your policy. It specifically states it will pay for repair or replacement of DAMAGED stuff, not replacement for undamaged stuff so that it matches. Right?

spd32177

It's an HO-5 and from what my contractor told me this morning that siding for the entire home is done deal. He did mention that the adjuster that was assigned to my case is really good. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

moburkes

It's an HO-5 and from what my contractor told me this morning that siding for the entire home is done deal. He did mention that the adjuster that was assigned to my case is really good. Thanks for the info.

Cheers
You have a good agent. Usually an HO-5 will pay for the whole thing. Not many Ho-5s are sold nowadays.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">