• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Research for a screenplay. Regarding theft insurance. Easy questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justinw

This isn't exactly about homeowners insurance. It's actually about a church, but this was the closest topic in which I could think to put it.

I'm writing a screenplay, and one of the characters is supposed to steal money from a church, hide the money, and then turn himself in to the police, so the insurance company pays back to the church the money he stole, and after he gets out of prison, he also gets to keep what he hid. Problem is, I'm not entirely sure it would work like this.

First off, that is a real thing, right? Theft insurance? The insurance company would pay the church back what was taken, I hope. Also, would there be any kind of deductible or other penalty involved in this, other than a hike in their insurance rates?

And perhaps just as importantly, if this guy turned himself in, would the insurance company still cover it, or would he then be on the hook for paying them back. Say he tells the authorities he lost the money in a fire or something like that, something where he definitely just can't give back what he stole. Would it be the insurance company or him responsible for paying up?

The entire resolution of this story hinges on this plan being able to follow the way I've imagined it, so give me some good news. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">