• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roof Damage Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erimikos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

About 8-9 years ago we had one of the storm-chasing roofing companies come to our door and after he checked the roof we talked with him for a bit. He came in and called our insurance company to talk with them about the damage.

We told him we would think about it and get back with him, and sent him on his way. However, at this point the insurance company had opened a claim. We talked with them and told them that we could not afford the deductible to get it repaired. They said they were sending us a check anyway as the claim had been opened already and we would pretty much have to figure it out as they would no longer pay out on damages to the roof until it was repaired.

A couple months later, we hired a small contractor company to come in and do the repairs to the roof...

Since then, we have lost the paperwork involved with that, and when calling the company for documentation from their side, we found the company had shut down.

SO with new hail damage and such now, where does that leave us? We don't really have any way to prove the repairs. Maybe their appraiser would be able to tell by the age of the roof, but I don't know for sure.

I don't want to ask the insurance company these questions as it could be considered as reporting damage and have the claim automatically opened again, which due to lack of paperwork on the repairs, they could then potentially think it was a fraudulent claim?

The lats thing I need is either massive fines or jail time over some lost paperwork... lol

Does this mean I am pretty much SOL and have to have the roof repaired\replaced on my own dime now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">