• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severely Water Damaged Condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Masscondoowner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

4 weeks ago I had a supply line in an upstairs bathroom let go and flooded my entire condo unit. I immediately contacted my homeowner's insurance and they sent an adjuster out quickly. At that time it was determined that this repair would exceed the $25,000 deductible on the HOA's Master Policy and that the Association's insurance company would have to be involved.

It took one week for the master insurer to send out an adjuster. It has been four weeks of being confined to the only two rooms of my unit that are habitable at this point and the Master Policy's adjuster has not come through with an estimate, therefore stalling the process of returning to normal. The Condo Association has broken off all communication at this point because I apparently have made myself a thorn in their side by questioning the "process". My question is how long does the adjuster have to come up with an estimate?

moburkes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

4 weeks ago I had a supply line in an upstairs bathroom let go and flooded my entire condo unit. I immediately contacted my homeowner's insurance and they sent an adjuster out quickly. At that time it was determined that this repair would exceed the $25,000 deductible on the HOA's Master Policy and that the Association's insurance company would have to be involved.

It took one week for the master insurer to send out an adjuster. It has been four weeks of being confined to the only two rooms of my unit that are habitable at this point and the Master Policy's adjuster has not come through with an estimate, therefore stalling the process of returning to normal. The Condo Association has broken off all communication at this point because I apparently have made myself a thorn in their side by questioning the "process". My question is how long does the adjuster have to come up with an estimate?
You mention 2 different insurance companies. The one that insures YOUR property and the one that insures the association. You need to contact YOUR insurance company's adjuster to start mitigating the damage. They will subrogate against the master policy.

uswcdh44

Many condo policies are secondary to a master insurance policy for th eassociation. If the association files a claim for damage to one unit, the unit owner's policy will cover up to the deductible for the HOA. it seems that this is what has happened. Check with the DOI for your state to see what timeframes the insurer has to make a coverage decision and move forward with payment.

Generally, it is still the duty of the HOA or the unit owner to mitigate damages by drying out the home.

Call the insurer daily, file a DOI complaint, continue to be "that guy"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">