• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Explanation Of Housing Escrow Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WizardHat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Kansas

I've been looking at buying a house for the last year or so, and I think I've finally got enough ducks in a row to go hunting. One of the things I've been looking at is HUD housing, and I was looking at information in a brochure when I came across this line describing insurance types:

"IE - Insured with Escrow Property, if 203b FHA financing is used, an escrow is setup at closing and released upon repairs being completed."

I thought I knew what escrow was but I guess not; can someone explain the above in easy-to-follow terms? Maybe with a practical example?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Kansas

I've been looking at buying a house for the last year or so, and I think I've finally got enough ducks in a row to go hunting. One of the things I've been looking at is HUD housing, and I was looking at information in a brochure when I came across this line describing insurance types:

"IE - Insured with Escrow Property, if 203b FHA financing is used, an escrow is setup at closing and released upon repairs being completed."

I thought I knew what escrow was but I guess not; can someone explain the above in easy-to-follow terms? Maybe with a practical example?
**A: you are confusing escrow with the type of financing of the HUD 203B program. If you already know what escrow is, then the HUD plan is a program where financing is given to buy a fixer up property and some of the monies given are for repairs to be made. Escrow hold the repair funds and pays to each contractor when the repairs are completed.

WizardHat

Am I then correct in assuming that if I went with a house like this, I would never actually have to handle that set-aside money myself? I just tell the contractor to bill the appropriate government agency? Or do I have to take the bill and submit it myself to the holder of the money in escrow?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">