• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slips & Falls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CA A fat woman fell on my front steps coming to my agent's open house on a sunny day. The steps were formed and poured by a licensed contractor, have assisted pedestrians approaching my house for 32 years without any incidents and are the same as most houses in the area - 4x4's w/3" rise. The complainant admitted to the insurer that she didn't trip on the vertical rise, rather she described that she was not expecting the change in elevation when her right foot stepped up onto the first step which is nonsense. No other person has had a problem with these steps that were installed to HELP people. The complainant has steps at her house and steps are ubiquitous. The insurer states the the woman may sue me and that I am to bring the suit papers to it. Does this fat woman who can barely walk, did not have her house up for sale and had no reason to come to the open house that my agent conducted while my family was out of town have a case?

Who care's how big she is or the fact that you think she can't walk? That isn't the point. You have insurance right? If you want to fight it than do so but don't be so ugly.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CA A fat woman fell on my front steps coming to my agent's open house on a sunny day. The steps were formed and poured by a licensed contractor, have assisted pedestrians approaching my house for 32 years without any incidents and are the same as most houses in the area - 4x4's w/3" rise. The complainant admitted to the insurer that she didn't trip on the vertical rise, rather she described that she was not expecting the change in elevation when her right foot stepped up onto the first step which is nonsense. No other person has had a problem with these steps that were installed to HELP people. The complainant has steps at her house and steps are ubiquitous. The insurer states the the woman may sue me and that I am to bring the suit papers to it. Does this fat woman who can barely walk, did not have her house up for sale and had no reason to come to the open house that my agent conducted while my family was out of town have a case?
You're absolutely right! Ban all the fat people from looking at your house.
Heck, freckled people seem to have balance problems too! And, people who have see scary movies...and and and.

You sound redicalus (spelling intentional)

superflanker

cmon man why is everyone being so rude. Tammy apparenty has a history of posting snide remarks...

There's too much political correctness going on these days. if you are fat you can't even see your feet, yeah you run the risk of tripping on the steps duh! Unless the steps intentionally moved to avoid her foot, from a common sense point of view I don't see how she's got a valid claim.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

**A: your reasoning for the fat lady not having a claim appears to be based on ignorance. To make a claim for a slip and fall accident, there are certain elements that come into play. Such elements include the issues of:
were the steps safe, were they built to code, what conditions caused the accident, etc.? Also keep in mind that once a property is available for showing through an open house, by virtrue of the open house, such property is open to the general public.

HomeGuru

cmon man why is everyone being so rude. Tammy apparenty has a history of posting snide remarks...

There's too much political correctness going on these days. if you are fat you can't even see your feet, yeah you run the risk of tripping on the steps duh! Unless the steps intentionally moved to avoid her foot, from a common sense point of view I don't see how she's got a valid claim.
**A: then you're just as ignorant as the OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">