• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

smoke damage during house fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whiteshome

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky. My insurance says that they will not replace my items that have smoke damage after a fire. Rather they say they can have clothing and other items cleaned. They say this is all they will do. Is this right?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky. My insurance says that they will not replace my items that have smoke damage after a fire. Rather they say they can have clothing and other items cleaned. They say this is all they will do. Is this right?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If the cleaning brings the items back to their pre-fire condition then what's the problem?

This would be handled by the specifics of your policy. If your policy allows for cleaning in lieu of replacement, then that's what can happen.

justalayman

there are companies that specialize in cleaning items such as the clothes in question. If that is what your policy covers, then that is what you do. If they cannot clean the clothes adequately, then you are dealing with a loss.

Max_R

You are entitled for restoration to original condition

Smoke can damage both the exterior and interior of your home. Toxic smoke, soot, and ash can land on your roof, exterior walls, patio, and get into the into heating and air conditioning systems, crevices, attic, crawl spaces and can infiltrate interior drapes, linens and carpets.

Insurance adjusters, while they can be pleasant and friendly, first and foremost, represent the insurance companies interests – not the homeowners. Insurance adjuster estimates are very subjective.The difference between a low estimate of damage and a high one is often many thousands of dollars.

Under law, you are entitled to have your property restored to the condition it was in just prior to the loss. If the smoke damage is such that no amount of cleaning can really restore it to original condition then you can get replacement. Unfortunately the burden of proof is on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">