• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So called wind and hail damage...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpearl23

What is the name of your state? OK.

Here in OK. we have had record number of rainy days. Not stormy, hail, or tornadoes, just rain. My sister and I have homes accross the street from one another. There are two problems with the same insurance, USAA.

My problem: My home has an added on room in the back (previous owners added it). That room now has saturated carpet. The water is coming in through a section of the brick, which the outside ground is a little higher than. Upon calling my insurance, they said that since the water is coming in through the ground it is considered flood, which I am not covered by. I asked if it was a shift in the foundation that caused the issue they said no, it still would not be covered since in the policy it does not cover shifting of the ground. Does this sound right?

My sisters problem: She is having water spots on her ceiling. Multiple locations 1st floor ceiling and 2nd floor ceiling. The adjuster came out and said her roof is fine, the water is seaping in at the crevases and cracks on her house by wind. Then they said wind and hail damage is not a $500 deductible its a 2% deductible of the value of your home. I do see it in the policy the 2% deductible, the problem is the ruling that the water is from wind. We have not had high winds and storms. We have just had rain, rain and more rain. What are her options? Does she call USAA and try to fight it? Call the state insurance commisioner? Would fighting it do any good?

Any advice is appreciated. We have lived in our houses mine four years, hers 6 years and neither of us have ever had to use our insurance. This is a shock. Go figure, leave a candle burning and your house burnes to the ground...covered. Rain leakes in...not covered. Are you kidding me?!!!:confused:

moburkes

Yes, it sounds right. VERY FEW people have problems with USAA. I hear that they are one of the most fair insurance companies out there.

Insurance does not cover "daily events". Its covers, theft, vandalism, lightning, etc. Read your policy about the wind damage. See if a 2% deductible is listed.

By the way, if you spoke to the adjuster and not the agent, you will receive a denial of coverage letter in the mail which should specifically reference the parts of the policy that are relevant.

alnorth

Your problem sounds straightforward, the insurance company is probably right that the cause is flooding, and you apparently dont have flood insurance.

As for your sister, the simple question is: is the roof ok, and if not, did it sustain hail or wind damage or was it defective from some other cause? The 2% wind deductible will probably come into play either way, because roof damage is usually from wind and hail anyway, so your sister is probably out of luck.

Next time, she may want to think about buying the wind deductible down to $500. A 2% wind deductible probably results in a much cheaper rate, and this is the reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">