• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant' dog bites neighbor off property. Am I liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dogbit

I rent a home to a couple who has a pitbull. I just received a letter from an attorney asking for MY homeowners insurance information. Am I liable for the damages to the neighbor if the animal was not on my property? What should my next step be?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I rent a home to a couple who has a pitbull. I just received a letter from an attorney asking for MY homeowners insurance information. Am I liable for the damages to the neighbor if the animal was not on my property? What should my next step be?
You may very well be. Let your insurance handle it.

And, that applies in ANY US State

moburkes

And make the tenant get rid of the dog, or get out of your rental.

And dont allow any more dogs to live on your property.

Does the lease allow the tenant to have the pit bull? If so, he'd be hard-pressed to remove the tenant because of the dog. Does the lease require renter's insurance? If not, that would be a good thing to add to the next lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">