• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sigs27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Our tenants recently abandoned the home they had rented from us. We were away for a weekend and came home to find they have moved out without any notification and when we entered the home we were very shocked to find the house in complete disarray.

There are holes everywhere, and by holes I mean very large holes, there is bleach all over the downstairs carpet, all of our blinds were taken, all of closet doors are missing, the upstairs carpets are completely destroyed, they had cut holes in the carpet to disguise stains (not very smart), our refrigerator is all dented, our bathroom floor is all caved in and the list goes on and on--

We are estimating that there is around 5000.00 worth the damage. We cannot find them anywhere. We had planned to take them to small claims court but to be quite honest the money will never be collected since we cannot locate them.

Would this type of damage be covered under homeowners insurance? Are we required to have a seperate policy for just the rental side? We contacted our insurance company who said we have vandalism in our policy but since it happened on the tenant side we cannot claim it.

I dont understand this, it is vandalism to our home. We pay a substantial amount of money for what we thought was a good homeowners insurance policy only to find out and I quote my agent "its a chance you take as a landlord"

Can someone please give me some advise as to what I should do or what type of policy I actually need to protect myself from this should it ever happen again.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

What do you mean by "tenant side"? When you're renting a home out to someone, your regular home insurance doesn't cover vandalism for the rental. You need to purchase coverage for a rental dwelling that you own. It sounds like you didn't purchase that coverage...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">