• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

third party liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hjeffress

I own a rental property in Elliott City MD. While getting the HVAC system replaced, the contractors activated the sprinkler system while using a blow torch. they have admitted liability, but their insurance company is telling me that i need to file a claim with my home owners insurance. i don't understand why i must file a claim with my insurance if they are liable for the damages. Is this truly how it works? is there anything i can do to get them to cover the damages without filing a claim with my insurance?

thanks,

HenryWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'm with you. I don't think you need to turn this into your own insurance. However, I would look at your homeowner's insurance policy. Maybe there is language mandating that you turn in ALL claims.

I know that if you do file a claim with your insurance, they have the right to subrogate and may/will go after the third party responsible for the damages. However, I assume your reasoning for not filing a claim is avoiding the increase of rates to your policy.

I'd start with looking at your policy.

moburkes

OP should not experience a rate increase if the damage was due to a 3rd party, as in the situation described above. It would just allow the claim/repairs to be completed much faster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">