• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Toilet Overflow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JenniSam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Almost 3 weeks ago (June 12th) a toilet in our second story bathroom was clogged up and overflowed. An overnight guest used the restroom late at night, clogged the toilet causing it to overflow. The overflow was not discovered until the next morning when we went into the kitchen and found water coming through the kitchen ceiling, light fixtures, you name it and the smell was just horrific. I am still amazed at how it could run so long! I immediately called the insurance company and the damage is covered. We’ve been placed in a hotel indefinitely, so no issues there. I do have full replacement insurance. Replacement is based on the current repair/replacement costs.

The company handling the repairs expects to have the estimate ready today but I don’t know what his estimate will recommend. They do not offer much information and maybe that is intentional.

Here are some points that I am unsure about when dealing with items that came in contact with the raw sewage:

•Most of the 1st floor ceilings in the kitchen, dining and living room have been ripped out along with some of the walls. However, they have not approved (or denied) replacing the cabinets because they do not appear to be warped. The adjuster seemed skeptical about approving replacement but said the only way to be sure is to take them down and inspect and if the contractor found water we could discuss. But should I push for cabinet replacement since they were soaked in the raw sewage water? Nothing has been cleaned yet.

•What about counter tops? No visual warping that I could see at the time.

•There are sections of ceiling on the first level that don’t appear to visually have water damage but when the light fixtures were removed, water did come out or was resting in the bottom of the light (dome). Should I push for drywall replacement in those areas? I feel like I should but I am not an expert and I don’t know what is protocol.

•Is it safe to just clean dishes that were in the kitchen cabinets? At this point they’ve been sitting since the flood and have not been cleaned or removed.

•Sections of carpet were removed but only parts that appeared to be soaked. Surely they won’t try to patch large sections carpet…? Not that it’s the plan, but just so I know what to expect, the standard would be to replace the entire room, right?

•Bedroom furniture that sat directly on wet carpet: I was told if it’s a cleanable surface they will clean it instead of replacing it. I have an Amish made bedroom set that was in very good condition. The dresser and chest both sit on the floor, the legs of the bed do as well. Should there be concern with these items because it is wood or not a real issue? These items have not yet been removed to be cleaned are still in the rooms that were wet.

•The tile throughout my entire house coordinated. Now, the tile in half the rooms have been removed and when replaced, will be different from the rooms that were unaffected. My policy states that my replacement policy restores my home to “pre loss condition” does that mean I can expect to have matching tile again even if that means replacing unaffected areas? or does that mean I could be left with different tiling in some areas?

•Lastly, nothing yet has been cleaned. It has taken weeks for the insurance adjustors and people to come through and so the house has been left in complete disarray. I have not been able to clean dishes that were in the sink or even throw out old food that was in the cabinets yet. Now that I am sure my cleaning has increased immensely from stuff just sitting, is this best left up to the insurance company? Should I expect they’ll have a cleaning crew come in and clean? I start a round of chemo this Friday so I will be unable to do any of the cleaning.

My biggest concern is what should happen when dealing with raw sewage. I don’t expect to get taken advantage of but I realize that Ins Co’s are not in the business of giving away money either.

Any suggestions/comments, tips from experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Almost 3 weeks ago (June 12th) a toilet in our second story bathroom was clogged up and overflowed. An overnight guest used the restroom late at night, clogged the toilet causing it to overflow. The overflow was not discovered until the next morning when we went into the kitchen and found water coming through the kitchen ceiling, light fixtures, you name it and the smell was just horrific. I am still amazed at how it could run so long! I immediately called the insurance company and the damage is covered. We’ve been placed in a hotel indefinitely, so no issues there. I do have full replacement insurance. Replacement is based on the current repair/replacement costs.

The company handling the repairs expects to have the estimate ready today but I don’t know what his estimate will recommend. They do not offer much information and maybe that is intentional.

Here are some points that I am unsure about when dealing with items that came in contact with the raw sewage:

•Most of the 1st floor ceilings in the kitchen, dining and living room have been ripped out along with some of the walls. However, they have not approved (or denied) replacing the cabinets because they do not appear to be warped. The adjuster seemed skeptical about approving replacement but said the only way to be sure is to take them down and inspect and if the contractor found water we could discuss. But should I push for cabinet replacement since they were soaked in the raw sewage water? Nothing has been cleaned yet.

•What about counter tops? No visual warping that I could see at the time.

•There are sections of ceiling on the first level that don’t appear to visually have water damage but when the light fixtures were removed, water did come out or was resting in the bottom of the light (dome). Should I push for drywall replacement in those areas? I feel like I should but I am not an expert and I don’t know what is protocol.

•Is it safe to just clean dishes that were in the kitchen cabinets? At this point they’ve been sitting since the flood and have not been cleaned or removed.

•Sections of carpet were removed but only parts that appeared to be soaked. Surely they won’t try to patch large sections carpet…? Not that it’s the plan, but just so I know what to expect, the standard would be to replace the entire room, right?

•Bedroom furniture that sat directly on wet carpet: I was told if it’s a cleanable surface they will clean it instead of replacing it. I have an Amish made bedroom set that was in very good condition. The dresser and chest both sit on the floor, the legs of the bed do as well. Should there be concern with these items because it is wood or not a real issue? These items have not yet been removed to be cleaned are still in the rooms that were wet.

•The tile throughout my entire house coordinated. Now, the tile in half the rooms have been removed and when replaced, will be different from the rooms that were unaffected. My policy states that my replacement policy restores my home to “pre loss condition” does that mean I can expect to have matching tile again even if that means replacing unaffected areas? or does that mean I could be left with different tiling in some areas?

•Lastly, nothing yet has been cleaned. It has taken weeks for the insurance adjustors and people to come through and so the house has been left in complete disarray. I have not been able to clean dishes that were in the sink or even throw out old food that was in the cabinets yet. Now that I am sure my cleaning has increased immensely from stuff just sitting, is this best left up to the insurance company? Should I expect they’ll have a cleaning crew come in and clean? I start a round of chemo this Friday so I will be unable to do any of the cleaning.

My biggest concern is what should happen when dealing with raw sewage. I don’t expect to get taken advantage of but I realize that Ins Co’s are not in the business of giving away money either.

Any suggestions/comments, tips from experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Your questions really aren't legal questions. You should consult a home renovation/repair forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">