• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree removal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tallguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.
My neighbor(rental property) has a large oak tree that is rotting from the ground up and my garage happens to be right next to it. When it goes i am pretty sure where it will end up. I was thinking about taking some pictures and talking to my insurance co. My boss told me that if i inform the property owner of the issue and nothing is done then he will be liable for the damages and not my insurance. Any advice sure would help. Thank you.

OHRoadwarrior

Taking pictures showing the tree is dead now is a good idea, as is informing the property owner. The tree falling is not an act of God, when it was obviously in need of removal. Your insurance will likely pay and sue the neighbor when it falls.

ecmst12

Send your neighbor a letter by certified mail and save the return receipt. If he does not take care of it within a reasonable time (30 days or so) and it then falls, you have a good chance of holding him liable for it. Hopefully he will take care of it!

The Occultist

Tallguy, I'm just really curious here: have you yet taken the first (and easiest) step towards solving this (you know, knocking on the guy's door and having a polite conversation with him)?

tallguy

The property is a rental. I would like to talk to the property owner for sure. That is my goal in this situation. I am just trying to find out where i may stand legally. I am currently trying to get the owners email address from the renter. At that piont I plan on sharing my concern.

csi7

Check your property appraiser's records for the property owner's legal mailing address and send a letter certified receipt with the picture of the tree and the estimated cost of removal of the tree.

notmulder2

Trees --- Yours, Theirs or Whomever

I am a licensed public adjuster in the state of Maryland. Several pts about tree and the problems they pose:
1. a tree damaging ones own property is covered by the HO policy.
2. neighbor tree hiting and damaging the neighbors home is also covered by the "victim"'s policy. if it doesn't, get a new policy or change ins co.
3. tree limbs, branches, et al --- can blow around and strike anyone's home. the h/o home that is damaged will Very Likely cover the damage especially the roof and gutters. Any inside water damage is handled on a case by case basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">