• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tree removal company damaged neighbor's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sillystring

What is the name of your state? Ohio
A few weeks ago, my parents hired someone to remove several large trees from their backyard. Some of these trees sat close to their neighbor's house so they discussed the removal with the neighbors ahead of time. They assured them the tree removal company was insured and came highly recommended by someone in the neighborhood who used them recently. Unfortunately, during the removal process a large limb was dropped onto the concrete top of the neighbor's cesspool and severely damaged it. To make a long story short, the owner of the tree removal company was informed of the damage and has since done a disappearing act. He can't be contacted by phone or at his home. My sister has been researching this man using public records and it turns out that he lied about having insurance, has a criminal record and generally seems to be a shady kind of guy. (Yes, this research should have been done before hiring him.)The neighbors have been told by the health department they must fix the cesspool within ten days or move out of their house until it is fixed. They simply don't have the money to fix it. My parents feel terrible about the situation and don't know what to do. They are in their 80's, living on a fixed income and are afraid of being sued. Would homeowner's insurance play a part in this? (It appears that shady tree company guy has little money and doesn't even own his own home.) Help please!!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">