• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unjust Enrichment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gettingoverthis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Insurance company paid out a claim of loss jewelry as well as other jewelry that was never claimed. Ex wife filed a claim and executed the Sworn statement proof of loss. After denying the claim the insurance company honored it after my ex called to question it. They paid out 22k more than the claim should have been..

Ex Wife was supposed to give me half, she wrote me a check that bounced. She applied part of the money that was supposed to come to me to a IRS balance that I already took responsibility for in the decree followed by the remaining balance.

After realizing of this mistake I confirmed with the insurance company that they indeed paid out on another piece of jewelry that was not claimed. Fast forward to now...

They are claiming breech of contract by my wife as well as unjust enrichment to me. Being that I had nothing to do with this claim and also I never actually received the monies is this something I can defend. I understand the basis for unjust enrichment but should that apply to me after my ex wife orchestrated this entire process?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Insurance company paid out a claim of loss jewelry as well as other jewelry that was never claimed. Ex wife filed a claim and executed the Sworn statement proof of loss. After denying the claim the insurance company honored it after my ex called to question it. They paid out 22k more than the claim should have been..

Ex Wife was supposed to give me half, she wrote me a check that bounced. She applied part of the money that was supposed to come to me to a IRS balance that I already took responsibility for in the decree followed by the remaining balance.

After realizing of this mistake I confirmed with the insurance company that they indeed paid out on another piece of jewelry that was not claimed. Fast forward to now...

They are claiming breech of contract by my wife as well as unjust enrichment to me. Being that I had nothing to do with this claim and also I never actually received the monies is this something I can defend. I understand the basis for unjust enrichment but should that apply to me after my ex wife orchestrated this entire process?
You were going to take half of the money as shown in the bounced check, and you got some of your IRS bill, which was your own responsibility, paid from the money.

I suggest you both work on getting that money back to the company.

Good luck getting insured after this.

Gettingoverthis

You were going to take half of the money as shown in the bounced check, and you got some of your IRS bill, which was your own responsibility, paid from the money.

I suggest you both work on getting that money back to the company.

Good luck getting insured after this.
Per the decree I was supposed to get half of the correct claim, SHE paid the IRS, I never recieved the money in question. She dispursed it all...

I am insured now paying though more than I should.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">