• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unused exterior door requires steps for insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrooged

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a sunroom or three season room that has a sliding glass door. The door is not used and there are shrubs under it. It looks no different than all the glass walls of the room. My insurance sent me a letter stating that I need to install stairs and rails and a landing to the door/window, that are all up to code. Can I secure the door permanently and put up a sighn saying to use the front door, and avoid the expence and ruining my current landscaping? Thanks in advance. Scrooged

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a sunroom or three season room that has a sliding glass door. The door is not used and there are shrubs under it. It looks no different than all the glass walls of the room. My insurance sent me a letter stating that I need to install stairs and rails and a landing to the door/window, that are all up to code. Can I secure the door permanently and put up a sighn saying to use the front door, and avoid the expence and ruining my current landscaping? Thanks in advance. Scrooged
That seems like a good question for your insurance agent.

LdiJ

There are MANY insurers offering coverage.

Go with one that isn't a worthless pedant.
I suspect that the house needs to have at least two exits for fire exit purposes and that is why the insurance company is requiring that. Depending on the size of the house it might even require three.

justalayman

I suspect that the house needs to have at least two exits for fire exit purposes and that is why the insurance company is requiring that. Depending on the size of the house it might even require three.
I suspect Ldij may be onto something here. If the building has only one other exit it may be a legally required exit.

Other than that, signs do not remove the requirement a door be constructed with a proper step and rail leading from it. I am a bit suprised this would escape the building code inspector as well. They should have not allowed such an installation.

The only way I know of to remove the need of an adequate egress path is to remove the door itself. The problem is if it looks like a door a visitor could expect it to be a door and become trapped in a case of an emergency in expecting it to function as a door. Then, if it is a functional door it must comply with building codes to actuslly afford a legal means of egress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">