• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Upstairs Apartment leaks downstairs, whose responsible for damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

I appreciate your reply. I am just very confused, as the downstair's insurance had already contact my LL/his insurance. He also knew the exact amount when I contacted him about the early February incident, before I received this letter.

Is this subrogation letter a legal or court document? It is a very vague letter simply states their client (the downstair's insurance) believes me to be the tortfeasor in this matter and to contact the rep of the subrogation/collection firm.
It is neither. It is an agent of the one who owns the rights to sue you for the damage's attempt to settle or investigate the claim. If you don't contact them, they have one of two options--sue you or let it drop. I don't know the basis for their claim or if you will increase or decrease the chance of a suit if you respond or don't respond. But, you don't have a legal duty to reply to them.

ecmst12

If you HAD renters insurance, they would be defending you against any potential lawsuit, and you would not have to pay out of pocket for a lawyer if you are sued. Which you will need to do, if you are sued. Not having renters insurance is MONUMENTALLY stupid. Please get some today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">