• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacant house next door had water leak, some damage to my house...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

So the house behind mine has been vacant and recently a branch fell through the door and and somehow broke a water line. The house was leaking and flooded both mine and my neighbor's backyard. As well as my garage and a little into my basement.

The damage wasn't huge, but there was still damage.

It's been a couple weeks now and my backyard is still a soggy mess!

This summer I have been cleaning up the house in preparation for my fiancee to move in and have been trying to sell some old/unused stuff. Most of which was kept in the garage for the time being because I didn't know where else to put it at the time. I knew winter was coming, but just haven't gotten around to moving the stuff before the flood.

Now it wasn't like I had thousands of dollars of stuff in there, but I did have some decent items that had to be thrown out. I had an older, but large TV, a nice stereo, a multi-DVD player, etc.

As far as the basement, my sump pump held up pretty good, but the one side of the house that does not have water proofing is pretty ugly now and should be given a good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint since water did permeate through the crappy cinder block a little.

The reason I am asking this now, a couple weeks removed from the incident is I just now found out where all that water was coming from! About the same time, we had a decent amount of rain and the weather got warmer thawing the snow that did accumulate. So I just thought it was all related to that.

Although I did think it was very out of the ordinary amount of water, but didn't know what else to do but just deal with it.

Do I have any recourse for this? Will I be stuck with the bill for the cleanup and damaged items? I was about to call my homeowners insurance, but didn't want to risk my rates going up if they weren't going to be able to to do much anyway.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Okay, that should be easy. My city actually has that information available online. Once I find out the bank, then what? Simply call them up?
That would be a start. Make sure to set aside ample time, as it may take a long time on the phone. Keep good notes too.

nextwife

Tax records would be where I start - the local assessor.
Zig, most tax records lag significantly behind the recording process.

If I were trying to check ownership without having a title company do an ownership check, I'd first try for the Register of Deeds (Recorders Office) records, and then check the Social Security Death Index, then probate records if the Owner of Record is deceased. I'd probably also check for a Bankrupty to see if the owner has surrendered the place in a BK.

I find the Assessor/Treasurer records, at least in many counties here, to be many, many months out of date. I just rec'd stacks of annual property tax bills for REOs, which include a good number that were already sold and gone during the year.

Zig, most tax records lag significantly behind the recording process.

If I were trying to check ownership without having a title company do an ownership check, I'd first try for the Register of Deeds (Recorders Office) records, and then check the Social Security Death Index, then probate records if the Owner of Record is deceased. I'd probably also check for a Bankrupty to see if the owner has surrendered the place in a BK.

I find the Assessor/Treasurer records, at least in many counties here, to be many, many months out of date. I just rec'd stacks of annual property tax bills for REOs, which include a good number that were already sold and gone during the year.
Ummm... o_O

Well I pulled up the tax information that was supposedly updated on "Date of Last Name Chg: 10/03/2011". It does show a couple peoples names. But I know they don't live there. I'll probably just call my insurance then. Thanks all for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">