• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water damage coverage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

Yes, I have seen such exclusions in standard insurance policies. A standard policy generally pays for what is originally insured - not for upgrades or changes to the home. Any additions or improvements need to be added to the policy to ensure coverage.

That is probably why Gmalone12 mentioned saying the filtration system was a feature in the house when purchased (which, I agree with OHR, is not a good idea).

At any rate, depending on the policy, an insurance company can deny a claim if the work was not originally covered, or work was done by a homeowner that required a permit that was not pulled, or the work was poorly done by the homeowner and this resulted in damage.
I say again, I have not seen a policy with an exclusion for do-it-yourself. If there is another reason to deny coverage under some exclusion, that is another story.

quincy

I say again, I have not seen a policy with an exclusion for do-it-yourself. If there is another reason to deny coverage under some exclusion, that is another story.
Shoddy workmanship is an exclusion that covers both work by the homeowner and work by contracted workers.

We had a home in our area that burned to the ground. The cause was determined to be a woodburning stove. The insurance company discovered the homeowner had installed the woodburner but did not follow manufacturer instructions properly. The claim was denied.

tranquility

Shoddy workmanship is an exclusion that covers both work by the homeowner and work by contracted workers.

We had a home in our area that burned to the ground. The cause was determined to be a woodburning stove. The insurance company discovered the homeowner had installed the woodburner but did not follow manufacturer instructions properly. The claim was denied.
Yes. Improper installation is a risk for losing on a claim. It has nothing to do with DIY, but the improper installation.

quincy

Yes. Improper installation is a risk for losing on a claim. It has nothing to do with DIY, but the improper installation.
Ah. So you are arguing my use of do-it-yourself when speaking of improper installations that can result in the denial of a claim. Faulty installation regardless of who installs it can result in a claim being denied.

In this thread we are talking about a do-it-yourself installation of a water filtration system and, if done improperly, a claim could be denied - depending on the insurance policy.

Last edited:

tranquility

Ah. So you are arguing my use of do-it-yourself when speaking of improper installations that can result in the denial of a claim. Faulty installation regardless of who installs it can result in a claim being denied.

In this thread we are talking about a do-it-yourself installation of a water filtration system and, if done improperly, a claim could be denied - depending on the insurance policy.
You wrote:
It is possible that your insurer will deny a claim because it was a self-installed system. Do-it-yourself installations and repairs are often not covered under many homeowners policies.
I SPECIFICALLY responded to that:

I have not seen that. Is it common where you are? I have seen some exclusions for "faulty workmanship", but for DIY?
And, here we are how many posts later as though you have something important to say on the matter to clear things up. I cleared it up with my first post. In fact, the difference gets to the core of the OP's question. In no policies I've seen, is there an exclusion for DIY. By continuing to post it makes it seem the OP has a problem because he did the work. We both agree and, as I first posted, if he did the work wrong, it is a problem. That he did the work, is not. (At least out where I am.) While I know most policies have general underwriting through the country, maybe you have some quirk where you are. Do you?

quincy

You wrote:
I SPECIFICALLY responded to that:

And, here we are how many posts later as though you have something important to say on the matter to clear things up. I cleared it up with my first post. In fact, the difference gets to the core of the OP's question. In no policies I've seen, is there an exclusion for DIY. By continuing to post it makes it seem the OP has a problem because he did the work. We both agree and, as I first posted, if he did the work wrong, it is a problem. That he did the work, is not. (At least out where I am.) While I know most policies have general underwriting through the country, maybe you have some quirk where you are. Do you?
Okay. So you were attempting to clarify something that I said. I thought what I wrote was clear enough but ... whatever. It should be clear now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">