• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water damage due to leaky refridgerator water hose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aegee14

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

We are re-doing part of our house, and we hired licensed workers to do things that required experience (ie. install hardwood floors, kitchen cabinets, granite, etc.). But we also hired non-licensed workers to do the simpler things (ie. attach appliances, bathroom shower, tile, etc.). One week ago, we had a non-licensed worker relocate one of our fridge to the new kitchen. He needed a new water hose, to connect the main water line to the fridge, and so he went to Ace Hardware and asked them what the best hose would be to do such a job. The employee at Ace told my worker, and I, that a nylon hose would be best. However, I had second thoughts because the OEM line for the fridge is one of those hard plastic kinds, not nylon. So, we bought the nylon hose and installed it. Last night, the hose started leaking and now we have water damage to the kitchen floor/subfloor, and the ceiling on the bottom floor below the kitchen.

My question is, who's fault is it?
Is it the fault of Ace Hardware for telling us the wrong hose to use?
Is it the manufacturer of the hose who is at fault?
Is it my worker's fault for not installing what supposedly was the wrong hose?

If it is none of the fault above, would such an incident be covered under HO insurance?

Thanks a lot. I know this was a lot of reading, but I am so frustrated/sad/mad at the same time.

- Peter

Betty

I would report it to your homeowner's ins. co. & see if the damage is covered under your policy.

Aegee14

If I tell my insurance company, wouldn't they want to raise my premium whether or not I go with them because now that they know?

moburkes

They may raise your premium. We don't know. They may not raise your premium. We still don't know. However, the only fault is on YOU, not any of the others that you are trying to blame.

Aegee14

Why would the fault be on me? I neither made the tubing, nor sold the tubing, nor installed the tubing. Yes, the refridgerator belongs to me, and yes I was the first to notice water spraying all over. But I don't see how you can justify that as being the fault. Did you happen to read all of what I posted?

moburkes

My question is, who's fault is it?
Is it the fault of Ace Hardware for telling us the wrong hose to use?No. You relied on the "expertise" of a store clerk, who may not know what the hell he is talking about.
Is it the manufacturer of the hose who is at fault?Not if the hose was not used for its intended use.
Is it my worker's fault for not installing what supposedly was the wrong hose?You paid him to install that hose. What did he do wrong?

If it is none of the fault above, would such an incident be covered under HO insurance?

Thanks a lot. I know this was a lot of reading, but I am so frustrated/sad/mad at the same time.
I'm simply saying that the blame cannot be placed on the other parties. Therefore, by default, you are the at fault party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">