• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water leak to the condo below me. I had no insurance at the time.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jajeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I recently installed a wax ring on my toilet after discovering it was causing the leak. I did research prior to installing and asked around about the process, yet the way my condominium was built, it required two wax rings instead of one. This caused water to leak to the condo below me. There was no indication whatsoever the leak was present until the tenant below discovered it from his ceiling. Is this negligence on my part? I'm I fully responsible to pay the tenant's insurance claims?

I have read up on negligence, and homeowner's insurance claims. I also did not have insurance at the time of the incident as it was a newly purchased condominium, literally two weeks since the move in date. I have recently received a letter from the tenant's insurance company demanding for the claim's cost. Please advise.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I recently installed a wax ring on my toilet after discovering it was causing the leak. I did research prior to installing and asked around about the process, yet the way my condominium was built, it required two wax rings instead of one. This caused water to leak to the condo below me. There was no indication whatsoever the leak was present until the tenant below discovered it from his ceiling. Is this negligence on my part? I'm I fully responsible to pay the tenant's insurance claims?

I have read up on negligence, and homeowner's insurance claims. I also did not have insurance at the time of the incident as it was a newly purchased condominium, literally two weeks since the move in date. I have recently received a letter from the tenant's insurance company demanding for the claim's cost. Please advise.
If you did the installation of the wax ring yourself, and didn't do it properly, then yes, you could be held liable for the faulty installation, and consequently, for the damages caused to the downstairs condo unit from the improper plumbing job. It was your responsibility to know the proper way to install that wax ring. Had a plumbing professional done it, and did so improperly, they, too, would be held liable for an improper installation.

Sounds like you'll end up paying for your mistake out of your own pocket since you didn't see fit to have insurance that was effective upon the date you moved into the place.

jlynn149

How much in damages did this cost you? I recently had a friend who had the same issue? Was this new construction?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">