• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water pouring from ceiling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yjishere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Hello. I'm a tenant of an apartment in Ann Arbor and half an hour ago, my ceiling, which is one of those removable tile type ceilings, literally ripped through and poured about a gallon of completely brown water all over me, my bed, and my desk.

I feel completely disgusted and showered right away and my blankets, mattress, my clothes, and materials on my table (a bunch of books and other things), I doubt I will ever use again.

Am I eligible for any type of compensation for this from the landlord or do I have to go to my renters' insurance?

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Hello. I'm a tenant of an apartment in Ann Arbor and half an hour ago, my ceiling, which is one of those removable tile type ceilings, literally ripped through and poured about a gallon of completely brown water all over me, my bed, and my desk.

I feel completely disgusted and showered right away and my blankets, mattress, my clothes, and materials on my table (a bunch of books and other things), I doubt I will ever use again.

Am I eligible for any type of compensation for this from the landlord or do I have to go to my renters' insurance?

Thanks
YOu can't wash your blankets, mattress and clothes? The materials on the table cannot be salvaged? What caused the water to accumulate? Was the landlord negligent in anyway? If not, go through your renter's insurance but they will not replace things that can be washed. So what exactly did you lose?

Mass_Shyster

If the damage was due to negligence, you should collect from the negligent party. That may involve proving that the other party did something that they should not have done, or did not do something that they should have done. It's not enough to show that they did something that caused your damages. You have to show that they did something that they should not have done.

It's probably much easier to go through you renter's insurance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If the damage was due to negligence, you should collect from the negligent party. That may involve proving that the other party did something that they should not have done, or did not do something that they should have done. It's not enough to show that they did something that caused your damages. You have to show that they did something that they should not have done.

It's probably much easier to go through you renter's insurance.
ONLY if things were destroyed. From the sounds of things, OP is just ewwwww'd out about the water hitting his or her delicates.Which does not mean the things were destroyed and couldn't be washed.

yjishere

Here's an update. A long wastebasket about 20 inches long just fell from the ceiling with even more water inside. I am guessing this was already an issue which they solved negligently and the water had been building up there, essentially just waiting for more water to fill until the ceiling could no longer support it.

Mass_Shyster

ONLY if things were destroyed. From the sounds of things, OP is just ewwwww'd out about the water hitting his or her delicates.Which does not mean the things were destroyed and couldn't be washed.
It doesn't have to be destroyed. OP could sue for the cost of cleaning. :D

Mass_Shyster

I am guessing this was already an issue which they solved negligently
Guessing does not satisfy the legal standard required to prevail in court. You must prove with a preponderance of evidence.

Also, who solved the problem? The landlord or a previous tenant? You'll have to prove it was the landlord who negligently solved the problem if you want to sue the landlord.

yjishere

Thanks, I wasn't looking to sue. I was just wondering if the landlord would at least replace the sheets, mattress and some textbooks, and they just said they would.

I'd just over reacted a little.

Thanks anyway guys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">