• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when insurance deny a claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mytthtoothfairy

What is the name of your state? I live in Colorado but the property in question is in Las Vegas Nevada.
I have a water and mold damage in my house and the property insurance is taking their time in paying, its been 6 weeks, the whole house and its contents were damaged, I have pictures to prove the damaged. About early last month, my neighbor in Las Vegas called me that there was water and mold all over the house, my parents live in the house but are away on vacation for the moment(that's why the house is vacant for the time being. I called several companies to get an estimate for water and mold removal, when I finally contacted a company to give me an estimate I was told that they have to work on it ASAP or the mold will spread quickly, later that week I flew in to check the work, the extent of damaged was so severe that I had to call the insurance company to report the problem. Three months ago there was a leaky pipe in the bathroom and we had it fixed by a licensed and bonded plumber. Apparently that was the cause of the flooding and the insurance company is pointing finger to the plumbing compny and told the water and mold removal company that my claim is not a covered loss, I have been trying to get a hold of the adjusters but they both have not returned my call, the initial cost is about 23k right now and I don't have the cash to pay for it. I need to know what are my legal options if in fact the insurance company refuse to pay.

uswcdh44

it actually sounds like you don't have a covered claim on most insurance policies. "Water Damage" is specifically excluded by 99% of carriers. (there are a few exceptions to this in each policy, but the type of damage that is covered is very carefully laid out.) Mold is almost always also excluded from insurance policies. if you feel that the claim should be covered, and it is not, file a complaint with the department of insurance.

moburkes

What type of policy do you have?
Why do you ask? Are you looking at the angle that he probably has it as a primary instead of a 2ndary policy? Or, because it has been vacant for over 30 days? Or, is it because he wants the insurance company to pay for poor maintenance? Or, because the WHOLE HOUSE and its CONTENTS were damaged by a leaky pipe, that, had someone been in the home, the WHOLE HOUSE and its CONTENTS couldn't possibly have been damaged?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">