• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is my deductible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin.

The terms and conditions of my home warranty state:

"The owner is responsible for a deductible charge of up to $85 on each component or appliance malfunction."

Question #1: Why would it say "up to $85" instead of "$85?"
Question #2: What constitutes a "component?"

I uploaded & posted the terms and conditions here:

Page1
Warranty1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Page2
Warranty2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Section "C" is titled "Components and Appliances Eligible for Basic Plan Coverage" in bold font and then lists the following "components" also in bold font:

PRIMARY HEATING SYSTEM
ELECTRICAL
PLUMBING
AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM
PRIMARY APPLIANCES

Under each "component," it lists "items" that are covered and not covered. The terms and conditions defines these as "items" in section "A. Coverage" where it states "This warranty covers only those items that are (1) listed as COVERED under Section C."

I have a problem with my "electrical" component - specifically my door bell, garage door opener, and bathroom exhaust fan. I am more than happy to pay the $85 deductible for this "component," but the company told me that they consider these "items" as "components" and therefore want to charge $85 for each, or $255 total.

Determining what is a "component" vs. "item" significantly affects the value of this home warranty - which I have already purchased. Please let me know if you think this logic makes sense, and if I should file a complaint with the insurance commissioner.

ecmst12

UP TO means that if the component costs less then $85, then you pay only the actual cost.

I completely agree that those are 3 entirely separate claims and so should have separate deductibles.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">