• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alclossey

Indiana
We had severe storm damage Christmas week. I filed a claim with insurance company. I pay the insurance company every month for coverage. However my mother owns the property.
So who is the insurance company going to deal with..her or me?

LdiJ

Indiana
We had severe storm damage Christmas week. I filed a claim with insurance company. I pay the insurance company every month for coverage. However my mother owns the property.
So who is the insurance company going to deal with..her or me?
Why did you purchase insurance on your mother's property and what type of insurance is it?

alclossey

We both live in separate houses on same property. I insure my half and she does her half.
It is homeowners insurance.

justalayman

Simpler question:

Whose name is on the policy?

Whose is the actual owner of the property and houses, like in the name of the person who holds title to the l
Property.

justalayman

Is the insurance company even aware of this? They cannot do anything to your mothers property without her express permission.

They would make payment to you but I think that's a problem if you did not purchase insurance with the company being aware you are actually a tenant on the property. Generally tenants cannot insure their landlords property.

alclossey

yes,they are aware.
I just looked up the policy again.
Kind of a weird situation ,I know.
Thanks for your reply though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">