• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife destroyed home. Will homeowners insurance pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

filup10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
My wife and I are divorcing. While I was undergoing heart surgery she took out an order of protection so I could not return home. It was 6 weeks until I was healthy enough to go to court and have the order lifted. when I returned home I found that she and her friends had removed or destroyed everything I own. Clothes, furniture, electronics, art, tools, books, music, everything.
In addition she vandalized the house itself to the tune of an estimated $25,000.
We had only been married a year and she was not on the deed, the insurance policy or the mortgage.
She denies everything.
Am I covered? My home is unlivable. My losses exceed the $150,000 policy limits.

st-kitts

1.) Did you (or she) file a police report when you found the home vandalized?
2.) While you STBX is the most likely suspect, how do you KNOW it was her that damaged the homes?

filup10

Still in process

I did file a police report. At first they were very unhelpful. But now are they telling me they want to prosecute her. I did not of course see her take the property. But she was living in the house the whole time I was hospitalized. she was there when I finally returned home. She had all of her personal possessions in one room of the house. The insurance company has not denied my claim because I have not finished it. It is taking a lot of time and research to remember everything I have accumulated in 65 years

filup10

Losing house

Quite probably I will have to let the house go back to the bank. I cannot afford to make the necessary repairs. I plan on retiring i a few months because of my health. I do not have the money to fix it.

ecmst12

Vandalism would be covered by insurance, but not usually if committed by a resident. Especially a FAMILY MEMBER resident.

joyee

Well if you have police file then i cant realize where the problem occurs exactly. can you please explain the problem again if you don't mind

HomeGuru

Well if you have police file then i cant realize where the problem occurs exactly. can you please explain the problem again if you don't mind
**A: Huh? You don't make any sense. If you don't mind, can you please make sense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">