• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would Umbrella Policy, or what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jannie123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
Two homes on separate addresses owned by same person. One used as main residence (I understand that would have a home owners policy). Other separate home with lawn the whole deal, used on the order of a "guest house" (not for a fee, but for relatives) and sometimes for parties or small gatherings (not rented out for that, but our personal use). It's a smaller home, but "vintage".

Is there a type of insurance that covers this situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Two weeks ago, it was a rental property? https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-real-estate-law-questions-11/parcel-land-question-566793.html

jannie123

For Zigner - I didn't remember asking the insurance area question - I did ask a legal real estate question about combining the 2 properties into one. If you wish to know the whole story--- 2 properties, our small vintage home next door to rental (ranch style - no steps). We will be moving into the rental making that our primary residence. I wanted to know about insuring the vintage home, which we will use for unpaid guests relatives and small parties. I'm sorry to have bothered trying to find competent information, It appears that you find my question troubling, or have difficulty assisting.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For Zigner - I didn't remember asking the insurance area question - I did ask a legal real estate question about combining the 2 properties into one. If you wish to know the whole story--- 2 properties, our small vintage home next door to rental (ranch style - no steps). We will be moving into the rental making that our primary residence. I wanted to know about insuring the vintage home, which we will use for unpaid guests relatives and small parties. I'm sorry to have bothered trying to find competent information, It appears that you find my question troubling, or have difficulty assisting.
Darnit, and I had an answer for you. Oh well. You should simply call your agent. Good day.

ecmst12

When you get your insurance policy you describe exactly the property to be insured and what it will be used for. Then they will give you an appropriate policy.

moburkes

No, its not an umbrella policy. Not even close. And, yes, if you explain the use of the home to your agent, he will sell you the proper policy.

FlyingRon

You need to talk to an insurance agent, polices differ.
Umbrella insurance only covers liability not property damage.
You'd have to check your umbrella policy to see if it covers liability on a second home without a base homeowner's policy in place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">