• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old danish girl, engaged with 18 year old US citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helenee

What is the name of your state? Outside the US, Denmark

My boyfriend (18 year old, US citizen) and I (18 year old, Danish citizen)have been dating for about 24 months and he is now joining the military in the US.

I am planning to go to the US to stay with him in about one year from now. What would be the easiest way to get the proper permits to stay there? Can he sponser me after only one year in the military?

I'm hoping someone out there who knows more about this than I do will be able to help me? :)

HappyHusband

Helenee said:
What is the name of your state? Outside the US, Denmark

My boyfriend (18 year old, US citizen) and I (18 year old, Danish citizen)have been dating for about 24 months and he is now joining the military in the US.

I am planning to go to the US to stay with him in about one year from now. What would be the easiest way to get the proper permits to stay there? Can he sponser me after only one year in the military?

I'm hoping someone out there who knows more about this than I do will be able to help me? :)
You could try the K-1 visa for fiancees.
www.uscis.gov

Helenee

If I go on a fiancée visa, we would have to marry within 90 days, right?
Lets say I did go over there on the fiancée visa, how much money would it cost me then? Paperwork an all I mean.

HappyHusband

Helenee said:
If I go on a fiancée visa, we would have to marry within 90 days, right?
Lets say I did go over there on the fiancée visa, how much money would it cost me then? Paperwork an all I mean.
Within 90 days, yes.
The filing fee for the I-129F is $170, and you will need to submit passport photos.

Helenee

is that really it? thats kindda cool...

then we just have to figure out if we want to marry.

do you guys now any other opportunities that do not include marriage, since we are pretty young?

ImmigAttyLana

That's not really it. The I-129F filing fee is the first step (filed by the US citizen). Then there are actual visa fees that are paid at the US Consulate in Denmark at the time you are applying for the fiancee visa on the basis of the approved fiancee visa petition (I-129F).

Then, once you are married within 90 days of the entry to the US, you have to file for permanent residence because marriage alone does not grant you any lawful status in the US. The current filing fees for this process are around $950.00 total.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

evcalyptos

Helenee said:
is that really it? thats kindda cool...

then we just have to figure out if we want to marry.

do you guys now any other opportunities that do not include marriage, since we are pretty young?
Lana beat me to it: it costs about $1000 US to immigrate here. Add costs of moving around etc.

You two might be better off considering this once he is back in the US.

Helenee

thanks for your enlightning answers :)

If we do not want to marry, what is then our easiest way to do it? any one? :)

ImmigAttyLana

There is no other answer that is easy. Either you go to school in the US and in order to do so you need to obtain a valid student visa after being admitted to a US college or university. Or, if you already have a bachelor's degree equivalent from a school in Denmark, you would need to find a US employer to offer you a position and to sponsor you for an employment-based visa, which could not happen until October 1, 2006, at the earliest.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Lana
Immigration Attorney

evcalyptos

ImmigAttyLana said:
There is no other answer that is easy. Either you go to school in the US and in order to do so you need to obtain a valid student visa after being admitted to a US college or university. Or, if you already have a bachelor's degree equivalent from a school in Denmark, you would need to find a US employer to offer you a position and to sponsor you for an employment-based visa, which could not happen until October 1, 2006, at the earliest.

Lana
Immigration Attorney
I've never had one, or dealt with one, but would a J-1 visa be a good option for a young person?
Helenee: J-1 visas are for cultural exchange programs that let you come and live in the US for a short time and live and work a specific job in the US. You could start by searching BUNAC and see what info you can discover.

Helenee

But, if i'm interested in staying overthere, there is, according to you, no other option than marriage?
or, have I misunderstood you?

evcalyptos

Helenee said:
But, if i'm interested in staying overthere, there is, according to you, no other option than marriage?
or, have I misunderstood you?
The good thing about coming over for an extended period of time is to see if you like it enough to want to stay (you might be surprised!) and to make contacts that would be helpful in getting you the long-term options you need. You might find this article helpful in assessing your qualifications and what is available: http://britishexpats.com/articles/000089.html

Marriage is NOT your only option.

Helenee

let's say, if i wasn't engaged, being that i don't want to rush into anything i might regret, and i wanted to be in america for one year on a tourist visa? is it true that i could go without a visa for three months and, after the three months, apply for a change of status and recieve a tourist visa eligable for one whole year? i have a sponsor ready if it can be done this way. i have a place to stay also (with my boyfriend in FL). if it isn't possible to do it this way, how should i go about it?

evcalyptos

Helenee said:
let's say, if i wasn't engaged, being that i don't want to rush into anything i might regret, and i wanted to be in america for one year on a tourist visa? is it true that i could go without a visa for three months and, after the three months, apply for a change of status and recieve a tourist visa eligable for one whole year? i have a sponsor ready if it can be done this way. i have a place to stay also (with my boyfriend in FL). if it isn't possible to do it this way, how should i go about it?
You can not change your status from the visa waiver program.
There are no visas that allow people to come to the US to hang out for a year with their boyfriend/girlfriend. I too looked for one, and there just isn't. You've been given some legitimate options to follow up on; check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">