• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

485 and 864 help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GolfingCanuck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello,

I am going through the process with my husband as he begins to adjust status to become a permanent resident here in the United States. He is a Canadian citizen and I am an American citizen in the military. My income doesn't meet the requirements for the poverty line, but his definitely does with his current teacher salary.

As I read the instructions for the form I-864, it is my understanding that since he is the intending immigrant, he would NOT be required to fill out and sign form I-864A, is this correct?

Also, it says that he would need to show proof of his current income and that it will continue.
We have included a letter that he receives from his administrators saying what his income will be for each school year. Would this be acceptable?

On page 2 under the question "Can the intending immigrant help me meet the income requirements?" there are two conditions that must be met: the income must come from a continuing source after he or she obtains lawful permanent resident status (see above) and evidence that he lives with me in our residence. Since we have already provided that we both live together in form I-130, would we need to provide that information again?

Would I need to show proof of my income other than what is on the tax returns? I know they are not a document that provides information on my income, but I am curious.

I think those are all of my questions for now. He already has his medical examination done, I've got my last three tax returns with W-2s and we have already sent off form I-130 which was received and we got the receipt for payment.

Please help in any way possible. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">