• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A2 and 7 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aperture

What is the name of your state? NY

got married 8 years ago. i have an A-2 visa.
the only thing i would like to do now is apply for some kind of work authorization so that i can work and support my wife. eventually i think we would both want me to make other applications but right now just a work authorization. what would be my steps to get that done? i have been living here 22 years total so any help i can get would be great.
if it makes a difference my wife is an american citizen and we've known each other for about 11 years (married 8)

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? NY

got married 8 years ago. i have an A-2 visa.
the only thing i would like to do now is apply for some kind of work authorization so that i can work and support my wife. eventually i think we would both want me to make other applications but right now just a work authorization. what would be my steps to get that done? i have been living here 22 years total so any help i can get would be great.
if it makes a difference my wife is an american citizen and we've known each other for about 11 years (married 8)
Have you reviewed the work authorization application (I-765)? What category would you apply under?

If you are not willing to give up your A status to become a US Permanent Resident based on your marriage to a US citizen, I'm not aware of another category you'd qualify under.

aperture

well i would definately put that into high consideration. what would my wife have to do or is this something i can do by myself? i would have to look more into this.

NY State

Last edited:

ImmigAttyLana

You and your wife would have to do that together since it involves her as the petitioner but you as the applicant for your own permanent resident status. This is the process that probably 95 percent of people in situations where a foreign national is married to a USC go through so this is very common.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

evcalyptos

well i would definately put that into high consideration. what would my wife have to do or is this something i can do by myself? i would have to look more into this.

NY State
It's called Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident.
An A visa holder has to complete an additional form (I-566?) to relinquish the diplomatic benefits.

Your wife must file I-130 to file with your application I-485, and she must complete Affidavit of Support I-864.
There are a host of other forms and supporting documents required as well.

Since you have the added complication of your A status, and a lack of foundation knowledge about AOS, it wouldn't hurt you to consult with an immigration attorney (pick one that knows aboiut A status--not all will) and is not a bad thing to hire one to complete your case.

You will need to apply for separate work and travel permission to tide you over until your PR status is granted (Green Card).
Make sure you are clear about what you are giving up with your A status and that you are OK with it (curious what you've been doing if not earning an income from this all these years.. but I'm just nosey).

If you get on it quickly, you can file before July 30 when the fees will increase considerably. But if you do so, I --highly-- recommend that you meed with a lawyer first. It's a lot to learn in a short period of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">