• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accepted Immigrant: Prior to Immigration, arrested in Native Country (Innocent)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ch3rryiie

Short & Concise Question:
My aunt lives in China, accepted for immigration in early April 2012. Two weeks later, she was arrested for financial / economic fraud.
Is there any way to use her immigration acceptance to help her in any way possible?

More background / Details with more Questions:
My aunt worked for a stocks / investment company. She did not know it was a fraud company until the night she was arrested. She was not allowed to see any one or even be bailed out. The law enforcement could not capture the head or main culprit and therefore captured my aunt as a scapegoat. However, she claims she is innocent. [ Personal opinion, if she knew it was fraud, she would not have invested in the company herself, nor would she ask her own family to invested in this fake company. ]
Just recently, we received leaked news that she signed a document claiming she knew the company was fraud. However, a few nights later, we finally was able to call her and question her. She claims she did not sign any document at all. This is already a confirmation that the Chinese are attempting to use her as a scapegoat.
She is supposed to immigrate to United States on May 1, 2012. The United States give immigrants rights to an attorney upon unlawful arrests.
Can this right be used even though she is not in the United States yet - considering she is an accepted immigrant?

Please help my family & if there is any more questions regarding the situation, please ask!

ch3rryiie

Immigration attorney?

There's an equal amount of evidence that points to her as guilty and innocent. So i think its best for her right now to be released until further inspection shows she needs to be arrested.
Would the immigration attorney be able to help release her out of jail temporarily?

Right now, we're not concerned too much whether she'll immigrate or not, obviously it'll be best she can but we just want her to be bailed out.

& plus,She's not in jail for crime, she's under arrest for suspicious activity.
Which should means the U.S. can't claim she's guilty cus she's not convicted yet. And even after she's released, the U.S. can't claim she's suspicious because there was proof to have allowed her to be release and be innocent.

For example, if U.S. citizen applies for work and the basic question asks have you ever been convicted of crime. And the applicant was under suspicion but was release and innocent, theoretically, the answer to that question is no.

OHRoadwarrior

She can be determined non desirable by US Immigration. They will not assist her, by letting her escape criminal charges she is in jail for currently.

ch3rryiie

Thank you for all your help guys!

I greatly appreciate your time helping understand the reality of the situation on a political context etc.

thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">