• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adjustment of status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kckmuthu

Hi, My son born in USA and he is 2 years old. I am working in h1b. As my son is a USA citizen, can he change my visa status into green card?(ie. Adjustment of status form I-485)

Thanks in advance

t74

It will depend on the laws at the time. At this time he would need to be living (or establishing residence) in the US and be able to support his family and any people he is sponsoring to at least 125% of the poverty level. This is difficult for many young people just starting out.

This is such a basic question that I am going to refer you to the USCIS website to learn the rights and responsibilities of the various visa statuses in the US.

Proserpina

It will depend on the laws at the time. At this time he would need to be living (or establishing residence) in the US and be able to support his family and any people he is sponsoring to at least 125% of the poverty level. This is difficult for many young people just starting out.

This is such a basic question that I am going to refer you to the USCIS website to learn the rights and responsibilities of the various visa statuses in the US.
The child is 2 years old. As of now the child cannot confer any immigration benefits, which is what the OP actually asked.

FlyingRon

Unless they change DAPA substantially he's not going to qualify it even if it was enacted. DAPA doesn't cover people LEGALLY present. It allows the illegally present element to get status for anchor babies. To qualify as it stands you must have been unlawfully present on the status date (Nov 20, 2014).

He'll likely qualify to adjust status under the H1B program long before any other opportunity exists.

t74

The child is 2 years old. As of now the child cannot confer any immigration benefits, which is what the OP actually asked.

That had already been pointed out and is information readily available on US government websites. Also, based on the fluid nature of US laws - especially relating to immigration, it would be ill advised to make a life plan for 20 yeas in the future based on today's policies.

When a supposedly well educated guest worker is making the post that OP did, there should be concern about his/her ability to comply with the requirements of their current status.

Proserpina

That had already been pointed out and is information readily available on US government websites. Also, based on the fluid nature of US laws - especially relating to immigration, it would be ill advised to make a life plan for 20 yeas in the future based on today's policies.

When a supposedly well educated guest worker is making the post that OP did, there should be concern about his/her ability to comply with the requirements of their current status.

Redundancy is one of my most favourite words.

I am now happy!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">