• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yee2007

What is the name of your state? Hi to all! I want to share my life status here in the US.I live here in newyork state.We were maried in my country,came here with a k3 visa.Husband refuse to adjust my status,saying he dont wanna be responsible,he want me backhome to my country.my visa will expire in january 2008.I have no SSN,and dont know how to drive.Im stuck in the house all day long.please anyone advice.

ImmigAttyLana

Not much you can do if your husband is not supportive of the process for you to get permanent resident status. Are you sure this is a bona fide marriage? Does not sound like this is working out for you at this point.

SHORTY LONG

Are you and your husband presently living in the same house together?
What do you mean by your husband does not want to be responsible?
What Country were you married in? Was it a legal Marriage?
How long have you lived in the United states? Have you ever legally
worked here in the United States?

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? Hi to all! I want to share my life status here in the US.I live here in newyork state.We were maried in my country,came here with a k3 visa.Husband refuse to adjust my status,saying he dont wanna be responsible,he want me backhome to my country.my visa will expire in january 2008.I have no SSN,and dont know how to drive.Im stuck in the house all day long.please anyone advice.
How long exactly have you been married?
Your choices are different if you have been married + 2 years.

You can apply for your EAD yourself (without his signature). This entitles you to a SSN. The form is number I-765 at uscis.gov

yee2007

maried by judge

We were maried in my country philippines on february of 2005.came here in the US on a k3 visa last february 2006.yes,we stay in the same house,been here for almost two years now.His answers is simple he dont wanna be responsible,he figures out he wanna be alone,and no responsibilities,he works a lot,no rest,tired,lots of bills,he said if he sold the house he will know what he gonna do for his future.right now,He dont know.i didn't work since i got here in the US.i dont know,i just dont know.please anyone advice.

ImmigAttyLana

I am not sure what type of advice you are looking for. Your status here is very temporary and in order to make it permanent, you AND your husband have to petition for your permanent residence. If he is not interested in so doing, then perhaps he is not really committed to the marriage as such and you need to look for other options. I am not sure how else to advise you on the personal issues you are facing, but as far as immigration is concerned, you cannot really do much on your own, without your husband's support, since he is the petitioner.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

evcalyptos

Your main obsticle is the Affidavit of Support; your I-485 requires one, from him.

There have been other spouses in similar situations who have applied for I-485 on their own.
#1--your husband has filed an I-130 petition on your behalf; it has been established that you are legally his Immediate Relative and you are eligible to Adjust Status..
#2-you have been married to a US citizen for +2 years. This is the 'fraud cutoff' timeline established by law, and the length of your marriage pre-supposes that you did not enter your marriage solely for the immigration benefit. This opens a route to self-sponsorship (but you have no income)
#3-A case has been made that refusing to complete the paperwork necessary for your immigration is a type of abuse, opening up the doors for a VAWA self-petition. Again, the length of your marriage works in your favor for this.

An Adjustment of Status was recently granted to a widowed woman based on simply criteria #1; this has opened up a new line of defense for women who have been put in yoru unfortunate situation.

Clearly I don't know a lot about this, but you may want to start seeking out different immigration lawyers that advertise VAWA and work with abused women.

Of course, you need to strongly consider why you would want to fight this. You haven't had an opportunity to integrate into the US, you have no income, no means of transportation and how much fmaily, friends, support do you have here? It may be the better choice to simply go back to the PI.
If you want to stay, I'm afraid you have to do some serious homework, and you're going to need help. Organizations like Catholic Charities help immigrants for low or no cost.

yee2007

stand on my own

I have aunts,cousins here in the US.I sent them email and sometimes call them.I share them my situation here.And they worry,i wanted to visit them there but my husband dont let me come there.I dont know,what to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">