• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of Presence for child born out of wedlock/residing in Europe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stran

New york:

Someone is trying to pressure me into signing an affidavit of presence for a child who is resident in Europe. The child is mine but has lived in Europe for 8 years (whole life) and I have been denied a relationship by the mother. I do pay child support. The mother and I were never married and the child was born in Europe.

I was approached to sign the affidavit so that the child can become a US Citizen and attend an international school for free in the country they reside. I know this to be a false reason as I ave contacted the school and been told citizenship has no bearing on fees. As I have had many problems with being lied to by the mother I am not prepared to sign the affidavit at this time especially when I am fed more lies about the reason. I do not fully understand the affidavit and therefore, until I have found out more, I am not willing to just sign away.

I have told the lawyer representing the mother here in the US that I am not, at this time, willing to sign the document. Since then, many of my business colleagues have been harassed and so have members of my family, under the guise that they can help provide the information needed to have the affidavit/citizenship be approved.

I was under the impression that without my cooperation, the citizenship cannot be approved and again, I am not opposed to the citizenship but as I am being lied to and not given the full explanation I am being cautious at this moment.

Is it possible for the affidavit/citizenship to be done through my family and friends or is this just a case of the lawyer trying to intimidate me into signing a document I do not, at this time, want to sign?

Thanks for all your help

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
it is this form

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/126018.pdf

titled

AFFIDAVIT OF PARENTAGE, PHYSICAL PRESENCE AND SUPPORT

I have not been provided a number
Why would you not want your child to have US citizenship?

stran

Why would you not want your child to have US citizenship?
Again, I am not opposed to the child having citizenship but I am opposed to signing a document when I do not understand what is happening and why it is happening. The childs mother has not told me one honest thing since the childs birth and had tried to sue me in multiple countries for child support though there is an order which I pay here in the US, she also lied about her martial status when we met, telling me she was divorced, I later find out not only was she married but telling her husband he was the father of my child whilst denying me a relationship with the child. Now I am expected to sign a document I know nothing about with a lie as the reason? I do not trust the mother and therefore want to be absolutely sure I know what I am doing before I sign anything. I don't think that is unreasonable given the circumstances, and furthermore I want to know if this is something that can be happen without my involvement. It isnt about denying the child citizenship, it is about making sure everything is done the right way.

Proserpina

All she's trying to do is get the birth registered and confirm that the child is entitled to US citizenship via one US citizen parent.

It won't hold make you liable for anything you're not already liable for.

It's a pretty straightforward form.

stran

All she's trying to do is get the birth registered and confirm that the child is entitled to US citizenship via one US citizen parent.

It won't hold make you liable for anything you're not already liable for.

It's a pretty straightforward form.

Great, thank you for letting me know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">