• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aged Grandmother from Japan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aviviano

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My wife's grandmother would like to move to the states to live our her final years.

Here is the situation:
  • My wife is an American Citizen born in California
  • My Mother-In-Law (the daughter of my wife's grandmother) has a green card and has been here long enough to obtain citizenship
  • My Mother-In-Law is dying of cancer and probably has about a year to live

My questions are as follows:
  • Can my wife bring her grandmother over to live out her final years?
  • If not, is there another way to go about this?
  • Where do we begin?

Any help you can provide would be wonderful!!What is the name of your state?

ImmigAttyLana

No, and I believe you had already posted similar questions a little while ago, to which I had responded. Your wife is not eligible to petition for her grandmother but the grandmother's daughter (mother-in-law) WILL BE, once she becomes a US citizen. If you say she is eligible to apply for citizenship, provided she has enough time to do this, given her condition and enough time to then petition for her mother to get the immigrant visa. The entire process is probably going to take 1-2 years.

Is there any other child of the grandmother who is a US citizen or US permanent resident who may be eligible for citizenship?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">