• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I a citizen with out knowing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alyva

California
If my father was a naturalized citizen in 1999 and my mom and I legal residents in 2001 at that time I was 15 years old. Been in the US since age four, 1990. My mother is a citizen now for two years. My resident card will be expiring in 8/9/12 what steps should I take for citizenship? I am not married.

FlyingRon

You are NOT a citizen. The only automatic citizenship arise if you were BORN in the US or both your parents were US citizens at the time you were born (or in certain circumstances that do not apply here, if one parent was a citizen AT THE TIME YOU WERE BORN).

However if you've had a green card since 2001 (and have been physically present in the US), you can apply for naturalization now.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.749cabd81f5ffc8fba713d10526e0aa0/?vgnextoid=8e5ca7682e319210VgnVCM10000025e6a00aRCRD&vgnextchannel=8e5ca7682e319210VgnVCM10000025e6a00aRCRD

ImmigAttyLana

That is not true, Ron. He could have automatically become a US citizen if he was under a certain age at the time one or both of his parents naturalized but from his facts, that does not appear to be the case.

If you can please provide additional information on how your mother naturalized and on what basis you obtained your green card, it may be possible to advise you on the course of action you should take.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">