• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

American & Canadian getting married in US, Canadian has work visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tarbme526

We have been together for 5 years and intend on getting married this coming June in the US. I am American and my fiance is Canadian and also has a work visa that allows him to work in the US 9-10 months out of the year. I have read about the K-1 Fiance Visa and how that works and also know you apply for a green card after the marriage however because my fiance has a work visa, do we need to get a K-1 Fiance Visa? And will he be required to leave the country at any point while all of this is being processed? Our biggest concern is the government will try to require him to leave the US and go back to Canada when he's already here on a work visa. Any advice is welcomed!

thank you.

ecmst12

If he's already allowed in the country then you wouldn't need a new visa just because you're getting married. The Fiance visa is for fiances that are not yet in the country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">