• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

American Canadian marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gruenes

My girl friend is Canadian and I am American. We would like to get married this summer in Canada and then come back down to the US for me to finish school. We would like the flexibility for me to get a job in Canada or the US....so I don't want her to loose her Canadian citizenship. And we don't want to live apart. Can this be done?

evcalyptos

My girl friend is Canadian and I am American. We would like to get married this summer in Canada and then come back down to the US for me to finish school. We would like the flexibility for me to get a job in Canada or the US....so I don't want her to loose her Canadian citizenship. And we don't want to live apart. Can this be done?
Legally, you plan doesn't work. In reality? It might.
If you marry in Canada, your new wife can not simply drive over the border to move to the US.
She may visit, while still living in Canada. Of course, the border agents aren't really going to believe she is living in Canada instead of with her new husband unless she has compelling evidence otherwise.

You can't just drive up to Canada and start working either.

Two things I can tell you: without the correct visas you WILL be living apart at some point and, she won't lose her Canadian citizenship ever.

You should probably see a lawyer for a crash course. If they suggest that you have her apply for residency in the US while she is visiting (which is illegal if preplanned) be sure to ask about her travel permission etc. It will also negatively impact YOUR desire to work in Canada.
Unfortunately, with an international spouse, you're going to have to firm your plans up ahead of time.

ImmigAttyLana

I will be happy to advise you and your girlfriend on the options you have available and which might be the best course of action for you, given your plans. Please feel free to contact me if you like. I handle these types of petitions for clients nationwide on a daily basis.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP has neglected to mention that he is still married to another woman. See his posting history. He should likely end that marriage completely and legally.

Just Blue

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
https://forum.freeadvice.com/marriage-domestic-partnerships-other-family-law-matters-45/getting-married-while-legally-seperated-another-person-504522.html
If you uncheck the "Automatically parse links in text" that is below your posting box, you won't get the URL tags ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">