• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amnesia and citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amnesia123

New York (only U.S. law)

Suppose I went to somewhere in the US or Canada and claimed I had amnesia and could not remember who I am. What would happen? I would have no ID on me and no missing persons report filed anywhere. Also fingerprints not on file. Would I be able to obtain new ID/credentials? There would be no way to tell where im really from. Or imagine if somebody actually did have amnesia and this happened. How would they go about starting a life for somebody in a circumstance like this?

Just Blue

New York (only U.S. law)

Suppose I went to somewhere in the US or Canada and claimed I had amnesia and could not remember who I am. What would happen? I would have no ID on me and no missing persons report filed anywhere. Also fingerprints not on file. Would I be able to obtain new ID/credentials? There would be no way to tell where im really from. Or imagine if somebody actually did have amnesia and this happened. How would they go about starting a life for somebody in a circumstance like this?
Please take your insanity or homework to another site. Thank You.

quincy

New York (only U.S. law)

Amnesia is not contagious. Just because YOU have amnesia does not mean that everyone you have ever been in contact with throughout your life also has amnesia.

Amnesia123

Never said anything about contagious or homework, nor am I insane. Just wondering what would happen. Amnesia is a serious thing. It is resulted from Trauma which can also result into shock. Shock and amnesia are terrifying together. Just wondering what would happen to your citizenship. Would you automatically become homeless.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is resulted from Trauma which can also result into shock.
What language is that? :confused:

We don't do hypotheticals.

ETA: Once you have amnesia resulted from Trauma that also result into shock, then c'mon back so we can help you. I would suggest that you write down the web site so that you'll know to do it, since you won't be remembering.

quincy

Never said anything about contagious or homework, nor am I insane. Just wondering what would happen. Amnesia is a serious thing. It is resulted from Trauma which can also result into shock. Shock and amnesia are terrifying together. Just wondering what would happen to your citizenship. Would you automatically become homeless.
You obviously did not understand my post. You are known by others. These others would identify you. THEY would not share your amnesia (although they might have good reason to forget they know you).

This is a not an immigration issue. This is more a discussion to have with your buddies after you have had several beers.

Last edited:

Just Blue

No.

You would be in the care of whatever state agency. And this IS a nutzoid question. :rolleyes:

tranquility

New York (only U.S. law)

You would be amazed at the Big Data files on people. Did you ever have a blood test? Were you born after a certain date?

Have you actually heard of a person in the modern age who has not been identified or sourced?

Silverplum

I could get lost in China: I have a letter from my employer stating that our PII has been hacked and stolen by our friends in China. So, you see, they know me there.

:cool:

;)

single317dad

You would be amazed at the Big Data files on people. Did you ever have a blood test? Were you born after a certain date?

Have you actually heard of a person in the modern age who has not been identified or sourced?
And facial recognition software would single this person out nearly instantly. Sorry, Days of Our Lives, this plot line doesn't play anymore.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Perhaps a better place for OP to search would be NPR. They had a piece some time back ("This American Life"? I forget which weekend show) about someone with amnesia, who in spite of various searches, cannot find his real identity, and the mess that ensues.

OHRoadwarrior

You would be in the same situation as a person granted asylum, who has had their asylum revoked, and the conditions under which it was granted have not changed. You will have no US citizenship or right to work, receive benefits or any other right of a US citizen. You will exist under a bridge, taking handouts on a corner as most shelters require ID and a background check before offering shelter. Essentially you will be a man without a country.

quincy

Benjaman Kyle was a noted amnesiac whose identity was discovered through DNA-matching. It took awhile, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">