• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladylion

My friend is married to a US citizen but he is an illegal alien. He does not wish to be married to her any longer. Is it possible to get an annulment or is divorce the only way out?

U

usdeeper

Who is the USC ?.. When was they divorced ? Have they file for Adjustment of Status or just got married ?

L

ladylion

The USC is the woman he is married to now. They are still married but wish to be divorced. I guess the question might be whether divorce is the only answer of if an anullment would suffice. Also, if they needed to get a divorce, and the illegal alien is in the states, would he have to leave the states? What if he wanted to get married to different USC??would he still have to leave the states?

U

usdeeper

I can not help you about the anullment issue as that can depend on many things..

As regard to his status.. if he has not yet filed the I485 Adjustment of Status form then he will be required to leave very soon. If they have filed that form then he can get divorced and stay until they are called for the interview, or until the INS finds out.

If he, while an application is pending, divorces and then remarries.. it will look very bad on him. In this event, he will need to see a proper immigration attorney.

L

ladylion

If the married couple files for the adjustment status but the wife(the US citizen) ends up moving out of the country, what will happen? Will the husband (the alien) be able to get his greencard? If not, what do you advise for him to do?

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ladylion:
If the married couple files for the adjustment status but the wife(the US citizen) ends up moving out of the country, what will happen? Will the husband (the alien) be able to get his greencard? If not, what do you advise for him to do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will look very bad if that happened and they may inv them both for fraud. His only option if he is determined to stay in the US and be legal is to see an immigration attorney. Cases like this are too complicated and one wrong step will see him deported and banned for a very long time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">