• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To apply for reentery or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samtheman

What is the name of your state? CA

My wife, a US citizen and I got married 7 years ago. She filed for me to get my residency card this year and I got it. She passed away two months ago. I currently have my permemnt residency card. I have two questions:

1.I have to go back to where we worked and finalize things that are pending before I move back to the states permanently. I will be staying abroad for more than 6 months an less than a year. I know that it is recommended to apply for a reentry visa in this case but on the I -131 form there is a section that says :
"If you stay outside the United States for less than one year, you are not required to apply for a reentry permit. You may reenter the United States on your Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)."
My question is: do I apply for a reentry or not?

2. Since My wife has passed away, Am I eligible to apply for citizenship at the end of the three year period or the five year period?

Thank you

ImmigAttyLana

You should have a reentry permit if you plan to be outside the US for more than 6 months.

You will be eligible to apply for naturalization after 5 years, provided you have satisfied the physical residency requirements by that time.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">