• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Applying for F1 while GC is being processed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aspirant

What is the name of your state? India

Hello,

I am an Indian citizen and my mother, who is a US citizen, has filed for a family-based green card for me (married daughter of a US citizen - 3rd preference) with a priority date of January 2007. My question is, is it okay for me to apply for F1 student visa to pursue my Ph.D. while this is being processed? Since the case is still at USCIS and is in the initial stage of processing, is it necessary to reveal that GC application is pending?

Thanks.

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? India

Hello,

I am an Indian citizen and my mother, who is a US citizen, has filed for a family-based green card for me (married daughter of a US citizen - 3rd preference) with a priority date of January 2007. My question is, is it okay for me to apply for F1 student visa to pursue my Ph.D. while this is being processed? Since the case is still at USCIS and is in the initial stage of processing, is it necessary to reveal that GC application is pending?

Thanks.

Doesn't the student visa application ask if you have any petitions filed for you?
It's ok to let them know that mom filed the peition for you--without looking, I'm going to guess that the priority date is years out. You will need to provide the usual proof that you can support yourself in the US and that you have a home outside the US that you do not intend to abandon.
Just having the petition filed for you does not bar you from getting another type of visa to the US for now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">