• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Australian Marrying US Citizen in Australia - Immigration?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigglesworth003

Hi There,

I recently got enaged to my American Partner and we are getting married in March.

We are looking at figuring out the process to get me over there after the wedding here in Australia so we can live togeather! and it's all a little confussing!

Do we need to do a I130 form petitioning for me to come over as a relative after the wedding? if so at what point can i go to the US?

Does a K Vis apply as a process? or is this only for fiancee's not newlywedded in another country?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! decifering Embassy sites and USCIS is making me go cross eyed.

Thanks,
E

LdiJ

Hi There,

I recently got enaged to my American Partner and we are getting married in March.

We are looking at figuring out the process to get me over there after the wedding here in Australia so we can live togeather! and it's all a little confussing!

Do we need to do a I130 form petitioning for me to come over as a relative after the wedding? if so at what point can i go to the US?

Does a K Vis apply as a process? or is this only for fiancee's not newlywedded in another country?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! decifering Embassy sites and USCIS is making me go cross eyed.

Thanks,
E
Honestly, your future spouse getting a consult with a US immigration attorney would be the smartest way to proceed. When I married a foreign national some 27 years ago it was smarter for my fiancé to come over on a fiancé visa and for us to marry in the US. I have no idea what is smarter now, but I am certain that a consult with a US immigration attorney is the wiser way to go.

Proserpina

Hi There,

Thanks,
E

K3 is a possibility.

K1 would be easier still - have you thought about getting married legally on the K1 and then having the big ceremony later?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">