• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Becomming a Canadian is HARD! I need advice desparately!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

montitchou1

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I met my Canadian boyfriend online about 8 months ago. We have met in person and are sure we want to be together for the rest of our lives. So I want to move to Canada.
We are not religious so we don’t believe in marriage. We are however willing to, if it will make the immigration process easier. I have been reading about immigration to Canada and it seems nearly impossible for someone like me. Even marriage doesn’t seem to make it any easier. I know I must first become a resident. Will marrying him allow me to stay in Canada at least as a resident? Or will I still have to apply for some other kind of residency. I do not qualify for any residency program that I read about on the CIC website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
I am currently a student..... a.... second year freshmen I suppose. I am hoping to obtain a BA in some computer-related field within 3 years. So I am not going to be well established financially and carrer-wise for quite a few years still. And it seems that you have to be in order to become a resident of Canada.
Also, we want children. Not to use my child as a tool or anything, but will having a child with him help our situation? I am 24 years old and don’t want to have to wait until I’m almost 30 to have my first baby. If I had a child with him would they ACTUALLY force us to live apart?
I am really in love with this man and want to be with him. I am willing to wait another two or three years to get my BA but that will be quite long enough. Please, any advice would be great!

moburkes

You might not get a lot of responses here, since you are looking for information Canadian law, not US law.

Also, you met him online, but how many times have you seen him in person?

quincy

You could apply to a college in Canada - you do not have to be a Canadian resident to go to school there. If you remain in Canada for 3 out of the next 4 years, you can apply for citizenship there. You should be out of college by then, and can find full-time employment in your computer-related field. While living in Canada, you can get to know Canada better (a requirement for their citizenship test), get to know this guy better (a requirement, usually, for a successful marriage), and perhaps, by the time you graduate, the guy, and Canadian citizenship, won't seem so appealing....but at least you will have your degree.

montitchou1

pennsylvania

Thank you for the responses so far. I do want to make it clear that we meet every couple of months. We have to keep a special budget for travelling expenses and we talk every single day when we are not together in person via video calls. We are VERY serious about being with each other. This will not change.
As far as moving there before i get a degree. Im simply afraid to. He doesnt make a whole lot of money and he is just staying afloat himself. If I have no skills to aquire a job that can support me Ill end up on the streets and probably deported bake to the American streets. Ive been homeless before. I never want to go there again. Any more advice would be wonderful. thank you.:)

xylene

Why doesn't your boyfriend want to come to USA?

I hate to break it to you, you are doing this the wrong way... :rolleyes:

montitchou1

What do you mean the wrong way? Because I want to move there? Or do you have advice on how I can immigrate there the right way? I want to move to Canada with or without him. But with him is the way it will be. :)

evcalyptos

What do you mean the wrong way? Because I want to move there? Or do you have advice on how I can immigrate there the right way? I want to move to Canada with or without him. But with him is the way it will be. :)
You two get married, and he sponsors you as his spouse (same as you'd have to do to have him come to the US). Did you see this portion of the website?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

This is a good discussion group for Canadian Immigration issues: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=33 (you don't need to be British to read/post there--it is a public group)

montitchou1

thank you evcalyptos. Ill check it out. He did tell me he would sponser me, However I dont thiink he makes enough money. Still I haven't read about all the details on that so ill check it out.

seniorjudge

Have you ever been to Canada?

They put vinegar on their French fries and say "eh" a lot and it is colder than a you know what from about the first of September till the end of July. August is okay.

Not a pretty picture....

montitchou1

They put vinegar on their French fries and say "eh" a lot and it is colder than a you know what from about the first of September till the end of July. August is okay.

Not a pretty picture....
Yes a few times. He hates vinegar on his french fries. I love it. We both say "eh". And his area is only a little colder than mine in the winter. He in just about as far south as you can be in Canada. I happened to be there this July and it was HOT! The city he lives in is beautiful. And I love him so even if any of this wasnt the case, I would still want to be with him.

Jennky

Ky

Not a pretty picture....
You're partially correct on the vinegar on the fries part , but the rest , you are way off .

It does get very cold there starting around late October to early November and their summer can be just as hot as here in the states . I lived there for 4 years in Ontario , near Ottawa , so this is first hand knowledge . Canada is a beautiful country and i loved it there . My husband is from there and is now here and in the immigration process to become a citizen .

Here is a link that will help you . I can tell you though it is much harder and more expensive to immigrate to Canada than from there to the US . And it will be easier if you are legally married .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">